Settings for 1 S1 when it's partly to very cloudy, raining

Marker

Hi, I'm going to be taking photos today for a college event, and it looks like it's gonna be cloudy : /
Should I just change the white balance to cloudy and call it a day? Or are there better settings to suggest?

I haven't shot enough in cloudy weather, and when I have, the shots come out lacking color. Please help a new guy out, thanks! :confused:

Right now, I'm using the following (relevant?) settings:
White balance auto
ISO 200
Picture Control standard

SteveH

If you are shooting in JPEG, then take a few test shots when you arrive at different white balances and see which you prefer - I find 'cloudy' goes too far with the colours.

If you are shooting RAW, then don't worry as the white balance can easily be changed afterwards... If in doubt, can your camera shoot both RAW & JPEG at the same time? Could just be the setting you want!

Horoscope Fish

Overcast conditions can make colors go "flat" so you may be forced to punch up the saturation and/or contrast in post just a little bit. As for white balance, you're probably going to want to warm it up by using the Shade/Cloudy setting depending on just how nutty your camera goes using those settings. The results can be way overboard sometimes so I'd suggest you do some test shots ahead of the Big Event.

Marker

Recently I've been shooting RAW, but iPhoto seems to import photos as jpegs, is there a directory that stores the RAW files somewhere else??

Ok, if I shoot back in jpeg, I will turn it to cloudy settings and see what kind of results I get in testing.