Newbie who can't work out how to change aperture

Kazielle

Hi everyone!

I got my D5200 yesterday - my very first DSLR - and I was excited to play with the manual settings. Unfortunately, despite following the instructions in the manual (as best as I've been able to), I can't seem to change the aperture/f-stop numbers manually. I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8/g lens mounted on my camera. The manual says that on manual mode, I should hold down the aperture button (I assume that's the button by the on switch that has the aperture symbol next to it) and then rotate the command dial to change the aperture. I've tried various ways of doing this and the number on my screen never changes (and I've never managed to get it to go down to 1.8 automatically, barring the first time I used the camera). I also tried using aperture priority mode and just rotating the command dial in that like the manual instructs me to, but it still doesn't change the f-stop number.

I tried to google it but didn't see anyone else with this issue. I'm using the viewfinder, not using live view mode, holding the shutter halfway down before I try to change the aperture, and I'm trying to take still pictures, not video. When I was looking this up online I read something about 'setting' the lens to 40 or so and letting the camera 'do the rest' - I'm not sure what that means or if it applies to my situation. I've never mounted a lens before and I just kind of put it on, I don't have the hood on or anything - didn't really know what I was doing. The lens hood isn't on, I'm not sure if that matters. I tried messing with the focusing ring but it didn't change the numbers.

You can probably tell I don't really know what I'm talking about! I thought I'd learn by doing but yes, this is kind of a road block!

If anyone could enlighten me I would SO much appreciate it. Can someone please tell me how I change the f-stop numbers on my D5200? Is it possible I've accidentally changed a setting that is preventing me from doing it the normal way?

480sparky

Is the Mode dial turned to M?

You shouldn't need to hold the shutter button down halfway to change the aperture. Just push the aperture button and turn the dial. Once the aperture is set, press the shutter button.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Are you going in the right direction with the thumb wheel? You may be at the limits (hi or low) for the lens you are using. If shooting in the "A" mode the f-stop should change with the thumb wheel/command dial as long as you are not at one of the lens limitations.

Kazielle

Is the Mode dial turned to M?

You shouldn't need to hold the shutter button down halfway to change the aperture. Just push the aperture button and turn the dial. Once the aperture is set, press the shutter button.

The mode dial is turned to M, yup! I've tried both - changing the aperture without focusing and then changing the aperture after half-pressing the shutter, and it hasn't worked either way.

Are you going in the right direction with the thumb wheel? You may be at the limits (hi or low) for the lens you are using. If shooting in the "A" mode the f-stop should change with the thumb wheel/command dial as long as you are not at one of the lens limitations.

I've tried going in both directions with the thumb wheel (that's the command dial, right?). I know I'm not at the limit because the number doesn't change when I move the dial, but if I pan the camera around the room it auto-adjusts the f-stop numbers above and below what I'm assigned in manual mode/aperture priority mode. My lens is a 1.8g but the f-stop number is stuck at 2.8 when I'm in manual mode (and no combination of trying to change it with the aperture button and command dial will change it) and in aperture priority mode it auto-adjusts between 4-9 (I've seen 2 before, but I'm not getting that number now when I mess with the camera in this room).

Thank you both for taking the time to help! Any other ideas?

480sparky

One quirk about some Nikon cameras' command dials.

Once you've reached the limit of the function it's changing, it 'keeps count' of each additional click/turn. So if you're just toying around and turn the wheel 20 times after the setting stops changing, you need to turn it back 20 times before it 'kicks back in'. I hope this makes sense.

Lawrence

Changing the aperture has nothing to do with focusing.
The thumb wheel, or command dial using its correct name, is the wheel at the back of the camera - top right next to where the strap hooks on.
If you set your "Mode dial" to "A" (aperture) then turning the command dial should change the aperture. The mode dial is the one on top of the camera and has MASP Auto Effects etc.

If you set the mode dial to "M" (manual) then you need to hold the aperture button down and rotate the command dial to change aperture.

If that doesn't work then I think your camera is faulty

Lawrence

Once you've reached the limit of the function it's changing, it 'keeps count' of each additional click/turn. So if you're just toying around and turn the wheel 20 times after the setting stops changing, you need to turn it back 20 times before it 'kicks back in'. I hope this makes sense.

Interesting but not the case with my D5100

Horoscope Fish

On the D5000 series, when in Manual Mode, to adjust the aperture you hold down the Exposure Compensation button (the +/- button adjacent to the shutter release) while turning the command-wheel. There is no "aperture button", it's the Exposure Compensation button you're looking for to adjust aperture in Manual mode.

When in "A"perture Priority mode the command-wheel will adjust the aperture all by itself.

Last edited:

Kazielle

Thanks for your reply! I tried turning it in one direction many times, then back again, based on your post, but nothing happened :( Thanks for trying!

Changing the aperture has nothing to do with focusing.
The thumb wheel, or command dial using its correct name, is the wheel at the back of the camera - top right next to where the strap hooks on.
If you set your "Mode dial" to "A" (aperture) then turning the command dial should change the aperture. The mode dial is the one on top of the camera and has MASP Auto Effects etc.

If you set the mode dial to "M" (manual) then you need to hold the aperture button down and rotate the command dial to change aperture.

If that doesn't work then I think your camera is faulty

Hmm, I'm getting a sinking feeling that my camera is faulty. I'm definitely turning the command dial (as per your description and the one in the manual), and I try both manual mode (M) and aperture priority (A), and nothing changes when I scroll the wheel. Actually, after fiddling more, the command dial doesn't seem to be changing ANYTHING, even when I change to other priority modes. Is there a way I can test whether the command dial is faulty (other than 'it's not changing anything!')?

On the D5000 series, when in Manual Mode, to adjust the aperture you hold down the Exposure Compensation button (the +/- button adjacent to the shutter release) while turning the command-wheel. There is no "aperture button", it's the Exposure Compensation button you're looking for to adjust aperture in Manual mode.

When in "A"perture Priority mode the command-wheel will adjust the aperture all by itself.

Thanks for your reply! I couldn't remember the official name of the Exposure Compensation button, but that's the button I meant when I said 'aperture button', yeah :) The command dial unfortunately isn't adjusting anything, and I'm getting a sinking feeling it's an issue with my camera.

Thanks for the link! My camera most definitely is not doing this. Damn. Guess I'll have to take it back.. but my city had no stock for this camera which is why I had it sent in from out of state. Just my luck :(

edit: tested the command dial and it works for other things. just not aperture :\

Last edited:

zilla

If all else fails go to Nikons site and post your problem in the tech support section. I have used em twice for problems and they were very helpful..

Lawrence

Just wondering if you have tried resetting factory settings.
Doubt if it is the problem but you never know until you try.

I was thinking about your original question and clearly remember the feeling of being totally overwhelmed with all the buttons, menus and settings. There is so much new stuff to learn that the last thing you need is a faulty camera to mess with your mind.

Hope you sort it out soon.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I had another thought. Have you tried removing your lens and then putting it back on the body? Make sure it is rotated all the way until locked. I don't know for sure, but it seems if the electrical contacts are not making good contact, that the camera may not change things. Just a wild guess on my part.

Carroll

Link to Nikon Rumors, with link to latest update to D5200, and why they issued update. Probably not the issue with yours, but has interesting info on why they updated.
(New version is 1.02)

New firmware updates released for Nikon Df, D5200 and D3200 cameras | Nikon Rumors

HOW TO CHECK FOR FIRMWARE VERSION IN THE D5200

If the latest firmware version is already installed on your camera, you need not proceed with download or installation of the Firmware Upgrade. The current firmware version can be verified from the Firmware version item in the camera's setup menu.

1. Turn on the camera.
  2. Press the MENU button to display the menu screen.
  3. Select the Setup Menu.
  4. Select Firmware version.
  5. The camera's firmware version will be displayed.
  6. Turn off the camera.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

engineering at it's best.

Blade Canyon

Does your lens have the ability to manually turn the aperture ring? If so, you have to lock that aperture ring. There is a tiny up down sliding switch on the aperture dial, and you have to move the f-stop to the lowest setting then lock it before the camera can control the aperture electronically.

D'oh! A G lens shouldn't have that aperture ring.

wornish

Before you consider taking it back I would try removing the lens and then putting it back on the camera. Then do the factory reset [h=4]Two-Button Reset[/h][FONT=inherit !important]Just follow these steps to perform a two-button reset of the camera:[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit !important]1. Find reset buttons. Locate the MENU and information edit buttons on the back of the camera to the left and right of the viewfinder window, and each marked with an adjacent green dot.[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit !important]2. Start reset. Press and hold the two buttons for more than two seconds.[/FONT]
[FONT=inherit !important]3. Release the two buttons. Your camera’s settings have been returned to the factory default.

Then with the camera in A mode try rotating the command dial.
Another thought.

Did the camera come with the 50mm lens or have you got another lens to try ?

[/FONT]