Most expensive photo ever

AC016

Well, if you know anything about Jonathan Jones, you should know that he is a provocative journalist. Keep that in mind when you read the article. I am not sure how rich his background is in photography (i'm thinking it's closing in on zippo, zilch, nada, zero...) or how knowledgeable he is about the world of art (i think he most likely knows quite a bit), but his article is simply pointing out that most anyone can take this photo and that people have. Though, i think he is missing the point. The point being this: if someone has a butt load of money and wants to spend it on something they like, who are we to say anything? Who are we to define what "valuable" should mean to another person? On the other hand, i do somewhat see his point that if a photo that can be taken by anyone becomes expensive fine art photography, then where is the world of fine art photography heading. If not Lik's photo, why not someone else's photo of the same scene? I guess the simple answer to that is, which would you rather have hang on a wall? A Peter Lik photograph? Or Uncle Ed's photo? Let's understand that the people who spend 6.5 million dollars on a photograph, DO NOT come from the same milieu as we do; therefore, perhaps we won't be able to understand their rationale behind spending an insane amount of money on a photo. In short, i really don't think there is a debate here. In a couple of years, there will be another photo sold for more money and we will all once again, be left scratching our heads. I say, who cares! There are far more important matters in the world to concern ourselves about.

J-see

Let me counter the "anyone can take such a photo" with the equivalent in painting.

Untitled-Black-on-Grey-by-Mark-Rothko.jpg

Museums and collections are filled with these.

Blade Canyon

Money for art these days is usually more about fame or history than the art itself. Does this particular photo have any provenance that's not mentioned in the article?

RON_RIP

Much ado about nothing. It is interesting photo but, quite frankly, I have seen better photos on this site. I do have nothing but envy for the photographer who was able to induce someone to pay that sum, just wish i could figure out how to do so. If I could, we would hold a party to end all parties and all our members would be invited, all expenses paid.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Mr Jones is being a provocative ass, IMO. It's a nice photograph, and it is art, IMO. $6.5 mil is freaking ridiculous, IMO.

That is all. :)

Horoscope Fish

I'll just point out the "art market" and the "art world" are two verrrrry different things.

The author does not seem to understand this crucial fact.

RON_RIP

Hey, I know Art. He eloped with Gladys, moved to the suburbs, had 2.5 kids, a cat, a dog and now drives a minivan. And he has given up on his dream of ever becoming a world class photographer.:p

Moab Man

Great thoughts, comments, and I pretty much had the same opinion. Didn't know Jones, but it sure did seem like someone just trying to say things to cause a ripple.