Twitpic users. . . BEWARE

Browncoat

This is becoming more and more common.

These stock agencies are spreading like wildfire, and within a year, they will own the rights to half the images on the internet. Their stock libraries will become more and more diluted with amateur work, and businesses seeking stock photos will cease to find value in them. It will also teach photographers to start marketing themselves better and to stop relying on others to run their business for them...eventually. There needs to be a united uprising in this business if it is going to survive in the age of the internet.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Anthony, I posted a link to your blog below because I think you summarized this problem really well. It impacts all of us photographers.

Et tu, Getty

Last edited by a moderator:

jcottone45

Can they touch any of the pictures we post on this site??
I know the boss said there is a way to protect any photos posted maybe I should go back & re read his email. Unless he resends it.

jcottone45

Thanks for that Anthony, I never belonged to twiter I quit facebook back in early feb because believe it or not spyware detected something so I had it removed.Is there anyway that pictures posted to each members galleries can be protected? I see some beautiful pictures that should be protected some way or another.

Again thanks for the reply.
Joe Cottone sr

Browncoat

Pete is right. You should always carefully read the TOS (Terms of Service) for any online site that offers to host your images, especially for free. Odds are very high that they will claim ownership of your photos or that it will be very easy for others to steal your work. Or as Facebook puts it..."share" your work.

The best case study of online image theft is The Stolen Scream. I highly encourage everyone to take 10 minutes out of your busy schedule to watch all of this eye-opening video. Imagine casually posting your images to Flickr, and then one day finding out that your image is being sold on t-shirts, posters, bumper stickers and used as graffiti all over the world. And it seems like everyone is making money from your work...except you.

I upload photos to Facebook, but only at a client's request. I never post any of my own serious personal work online. There is no way to 100% protect yourself from online theft, except to not upload images at all. I have found that Flickr offers zero value to me as a photographer, so I don't post much there either.

Carolina Photo Guy

This was my objection to the Tamron Photo Contest. For the price of 3 lenses, Tamron will probably collect 10 or 15 thousand images that they can legally claim ownership of.

Everyone that enters their contest will send in the best images they have, not the toss-offs. In short, Tamron will be paying 3 people for ALL of the images they get.

I read the TOS very carefully and decided not to enter. Just as a general aside, the Nikon Photo Contest does NOT take ownership of the images sent in to them.

Personally, I am boycotting Twitter, Yfrog and Facebook. I am also letting my friends know how photographers are getting screwed.

Just me being me.

Pete

Browncoat

Here's the harsh reality of the situation: you have to pay to play. But you have to be smart about it.

As I mentioned in the thread about the Tamron contest, just about any national scale photo contest is going to be a rights grab. There are exceptions, but as a rule, any photo you submit to a contest, you're going to lose. Don't submit that one-of-a-kind, can never be duplicated photo of the Taj Mahal you took while on vacation. You find something local that you can shoot again. A company like Tamron isn't going to farm out your photos and try to re-license them like a stock agency would. They're going to use them in their own promos: "look what our lenses can do". Even that is unlikely, because the images may not have been taken with a Tamron lens at all. They're certainly not going to use 10-15,000 images. They have to have the rights to post winners on their website without facing licensing fees.

Contests of this scale have legal ramifications. Tamron (and others) are protecting themselves from backlash because they must post the winners and make it public. Without a rights grab, what's to stop one of the finalists from saying they want $10,000 for their photo?

Yes, photographers are getting screwed. But it's largely their own fault because they're lazy and stupid. Just being honest. It's a bull market right now because of the internet and digital, but the industry is evolving. Albeit slowly. Twitter and Facebook are valuable marketing and networking tools when used properly. The problem with crowdsourcing is, there's no entrance exam required and too many people are eager to promote themselves without doing their homework first. The rights grabbers lick their chops while the rest of us recoil.

Mike150

All of this is rather scarey to those of us who are total rookies. Of course, who'd want to claim my shots? Over 90% of what I shoot is not worth posting, and of the other 10%, most I would rate as pretty good. Some are even pretty darn good, but I've never taken an "Oh Wow!" shot like I've seen from many of you.

I'm not smart enough with Photoshop to create a watermark and put it on a photo. I don't even know where to start.

I am reducing resolution and picture size now thanks to you people, so is there anything (other than not posting) that "Rookies" like me can do?

I bought my camera to help occupy my spare time as I slowly begin fading into the sunset. I'm too old for this kind of stress.

Browncoat

If you have Photoshop, File > File Info is a good place to start. Be sure to select "Copyrighted" from the drop down box. If you have a copyright disclaimer (there are many samples available online) then post that in there too, along w/ your name and web URL if you have one. It's easier to do all of this in Lightroom if you have it.