Wireless adapter and JPEG format

KevMo

I am kind of confused and hope someone can shed some light. I have a D3300 with the WU-1A wireless adapter connecting to my Android phone. When I transfer a picture over to the phone and I look at the details, it says the format is image/jpeg. The extension is JPG. If I bring up the SMS app on the phone to send the picture, it errors out with "unsupported format" and "choose another picture" or something like that. If I make a slight edit to the picture and save it, the format changes to image/jpeg and it sends just fine.

I know this isn't a D3300 per se but I didn't see a wireless adapter forum. My setting for pics is just JPEG Basic. In fact, it's pretty much the defaults across the board as I haven't messed with any of the settings yet. I have a D50 that I am replacing.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

zilla

I have the same adapter, but haven't tried to send a pic from the phone while connected to the camera. I am guessing that you may have to save the image to your phone first. I am also using an android.

Are you sure the photo you are trying to transfer isn't in RAW?

I just tried it on mine. On the phone I hit View Pictures on Camera. I then got a screen on the phone with the thumbnails. I clicked thumbnail to open it, and then hit "Download" The photo is now on my phone and I can send it like all the rest on my phone.

Edit, I too got the message unsupported media type.

I went to the phone editor and resized/cropped a bit It seems to be going out now.

Last edited:

KevMo

Thanks for trying. A couple things: I tried an EyeFi adapter and it worked just fine. I was able to SMS the image that it transferred. If I look at the details of the image using the Android gallery app it shows a format of "image/jpeg" which is what I would expect.

Can you look at the photo that you transferred in your gallery and get details on it to see if it says "image/jepg" also? I am beginning to think it's the transfer software. All of the metadata of the picture gets stripped out after the transfer. I'm almost thinking the "jepg" format is a result of a typo in the transfer code.