Chanticleer Reflection shot

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Here's another one that I can't figure out what is wrong with it. I edited out some people in the background already. I think the structure needed 3 windows. haha

DSC_0945.jpg

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 3.5
Focal Length: 18mm

JoeLewisPhotography

Re: Reflection shot

Im really confused as to what this is. Its playing tricks on my mind lol. that curved line dividing the the actual from the reflection is what is throwing it off. It appears as the water goes uphill....I think a wider angle on this one would have played better....though I see you shot it from 18mm. Maybe just too close to the subject.

For shots of this nature I usually always take them wide, and from a distance...just to show the subjects surroundings. this way, if i dont like it, i can always crop it down. You can always take away, but can never add. Just a thought.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

Im really confused as to what this is. Its playing tricks on my mind lol. that curved line dividing the the actual from the reflection is what is throwing it off. It appears as the water goes uphill....I think a wider angle on this one would have played better....though I see you shot it from 18mm. Maybe just too close to the subject.

For shots of this nature I usually always take them wide, and from a distance...just to show the subjects surroundings. this way, if i dont like it, i can always crop it down. You can always take away, but can never add. Just a thought.

haha, yeah I know it's confusing to look at, but I guess that was the point.

I found a wider picture of what it is since it's hard to explain: File:Chanticleer Gardens Rock Garden 2000px.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Joseph Bautsch

Hi jedeg, I'm in Seattle at a stop with wi-fi. Good shot and good idea for a reflection exposure. To me it looks like you have divided the shot in half with one window on the left and one on the right. I would change the format to vertical and feature only one window with it's reflection. I would feature the left side with the green tree growing up the wall next to it. I would also move the window to the left to get it out of dead center (left third of the format). In most cases its a question of how to get a reflection exposed in the shot. In this case the reflection is about identical to the main subject, which is actually distracting. I would burn the reflection in just a little to give the upper half a little more distinction from its reflection and its not as distracting. You should be able to re-format, crop, and burn in the reflection with the current shot. Just my thoughts on how I would compose this one. Look at the Wikimedia Commons shot... same idea.

Last edited:

Mike150

The effect is great. I really like them.

I might have to borrow one of these shots for my Desktop. (With permission of course). After staring through a magnifying glass at circuit boards and soldering tiny components (1/16" or less) to them, I really need someting to draw my mind back into it's normal insanity.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

The effect is great. I really like them.

I might have to borrow one of these shots for my Desktop. (With permission of course). After staring through a magnifying glass at circuit boards and soldering tiny components (1/16" or less) to them, I really need someting to draw my mind back into it's normal insanity.

Go ahead Mike :) I can get you a higher resolution version if you want.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Jdeg, that last version is so much better and is actually a beautiful shot! I actually got a headache looking at the first one (the power of a photo LOL ). . . could not figure out why there was a fence running through the middle of it. Then I looked at the title.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

I prefer the original crop. It's kind of too much. It is very effective in confusing the eyes and the brain. It looks so surreal that I thought at first this was a photomontage.
So I wouldn't change it.

Joseph Bautsch

That's better. Next time you get a chance to shoot this one do it in the vertical format and back up to give yourself more cropping room. I would also move the line at the top of the pool down down so it's at the bottom third of the shot. It will give the composition better balance. I would also raise the camera shooting level so that more of the stone border across the back of the pool shows up. That will provide a little more separation between the reflection in the pool and the door. Then it won't be as surreal to the eyes.