Nikon 1AW1, problems:(

Lorddaxter

So, hubby bought me a Nikon 1AW1 in the spring, was busy and aside from the odd pic here and there haven't used it much, I have both the waterproof lenses and the Nikkor 32, I like to snorkel hence the need for a rugged camera and it snows a lot too here so hoping to get some nice snow shots of the hirses etc.

So, after only using for a few days on my recent vacation the camera battery compartment refuses to open, one of the two switches well the yellow part has jammed and won't open hence I can't charge the stupid thing, it was working ok up till then and I have been anal about cleaning this, keeping sand etc out and I am mighty annoyed as after it broke I had two once in a lifetime moments while snorkelling and had no underwater camera:(

Today I spoke to camera shop who informed me it has to be sent to Nikon in Vancouver and will take 6-8 weeks, are you kidding me, so no decent camera for Xmas now too, I was looking forward to taking pony out in sleigh which I just got and getting some cool action shots with snow flying etc.

Im very very disappointed and short of a free holiday to try to re capture my missed photos then I'm not sure how Nikon can regain my faith, I dont fancy my chances?!

I only managed to use the camera on a couple snorkels before it packed in, photos weren't great, it's trial and error to adjust water colour and I wasn't deep enough for the flash which I tried but it was so bright it washed the pictures out, and of course by the time I found the perfect setting the camera broke, the land pictures I managed to take were pretty impressive, stunning colours and sharpness, I'll post some once I get camera returned as unfortunately the memory card is in where the battery is too!

Interested to hear if anyone else has experienced problems with this camera, a Google search doesn't bring up all that much, mostly water flooding but mine is ok that way.

i will keep this thread updated once I hear anything, thanks in advance:)

Lorddaxter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 108

Lorddaxter

Got my camera back today, well a brand new one, is that normal, paperwork says replacement free to me and my old one sent for repair, do they fix them up and sell them as refurbs, anyway they sent me my memory card back too as it was jammed in there, I'm a happy chappy to have it back, battery charging get right now, missed a ton of ice fog photos, oh well!

Scott Murray

Got my camera back today, well a brand new one, is that normal, paperwork says replacement free to me and my old one sent for repair, do they fix them up and sell them as refurbs, anyway they sent me my memory card back too as it was jammed in there, I'm a happy chappy to have it back, battery charging get right now, missed a ton of ice fog photos, oh well!
Good news about the new replacement, I have loaned mine to a mate who is in Japan now so I hope mine doesn't fail.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
From what I've read on various forums on the web, you must do the maintenance (rinse with clean water and lubricate lens seal) religiously to avoid issues.