70-300 VR question

ken2

hi guys,

totally newbie on photography, got 70-300mm vr 2 days ago, can you please tell me if it is normal that sometimes while the camera with lens hanging on my neck I can feel something shaking/vibrating on the lens when I touch it ? Its very minimal but other times I don't get this vibration/shaking feeling... camera is power OFF, VR is also OFF. This is my 1st ever camera and I'm really concern if the lens is OK or Not. Its Focusing and zooming with out problem

TIA

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
No, it is not normal. The lens itself doesn't have the ability to power itself so there shouldn't be any vibrating when the camera is off. Even if the camera was on, the only time it should vibrate is immediately after the shutter is pressed IF the VR is turned on. When did you get the camera and the lens? I'd definitely have it checked out.

J-see

I'm not sure if you got the Nikon but my 70-300mm doesn't vibrate unless I focus.

If you have it around your neck and the focus button touches something while dangling, it is possible the VR jumps on but with the cam off that should not happen.

Eyelight

I think the lens has power to it even if the camera is off. I guess this because the LED on the camera body momentarily lights when a lens is locked into the mount. But it does not sound normal that it would make powered like sensations while everything is off.

It may be that you turned the camera off before turning VR off. I know if you remove a lens with the VR switch on, it can sometimes rattle, so if removing the lens, the manual indicates the sequence should be turn VR off, turn camera off, and then remove lens. Since the manual does not say VR should be off unless removing the lens, then it makes sense it should not rattle while on the camera and camera off.... further evidence the lens is powered while the camera is off in some minor fashion.

Leave the camera on for a while and see if it changes the behavior.

This is a later post in this thread I quote here to fix/clarify what I just said.
Me clarify.

When the camera is on and VR is on and you press the release button (or in some cases the back focus button), the lens elements that reduce vibration start moving to offset camera movement.

When you release the button, the VR elements lock back in to their cubbyholes.

If you turn the camera off while VR is active (meaning the lens elements are loose because they have not had the chance to settle into their cubbyholes), then they will remain loose until the camera is powered back on.

According to the manual, it does not hurt the lens. Just lets the elements rattle around.

So, if the camera is on, there should be no rattle. And if the VR is settled and inactive before turning the camera off there should be no rattle.

Except maybe some lenses have a little rattle detected by sensitive souls who beomce one with their camera.

Last edited:

Moab Man

I believe you are feeling the lens floating around. I have a stabilized lens on a video camera and you swear there are broken parts in it when it's not actively stabilizing.

Because it is so hard to put into words how we perceive something is moving and the receiver of that information to correctly understand it... I would go into a camera store (reason why I buy and support brick and mortar stores so they are around) and let them feel it and tell you if it's right or wrong.

Last edited:

480sparky

I'd venture to say there's something wrong.

If the lens' VR is OFF, as well as power to the camera is OFF, from an engineering standpoint it makes no sense whatsoever to design a system that allows the VR to draw power and function in that condition.

I'd say it's time for a trip to the Camera Hospital.

hrstrat57

the manual indicates the sequence should be turn VR off, turn camera off, and then remove lens. Since the manual does not say VR should be off unless removing the lens, then it makes sense it should not rattle while on the camera and camera off....

Did not know this, always remove my VR glass without flipping the VR switch off.....hmmm need to go on line and read the lens manuals I guess....

Eyelight

Did not know this, always remove my VR glass without flipping the VR switch off.....hmmm need to go on line and read the lens manuals I guess....

If I remember, suppose I could look........yeah, here it is:

"Do not turn the camera off or remove the lens from
the camera while vibration reduction is operating.
Failure to observe this note could result in the lens
sounding and feeling as if an internal component is
loose or broken when it is shaken. This is not a
malfunction. Turn the camera on again to correct this."

From the 18-55 DX VR lens, so may be different on newer (or older) VR technology.

So may not matter if VR is on or off to remove the lens as long as VR is not active when the camera is switched off.

So what may have happened to the OP is turned the camera off while the VR was active, which could happen if touching the release button while turning the camera to off, leaving the internal components to rattle around.

Pretzel

Just took mine out of the bag, not on the camera, and gave it a test jiggle or two... no odd vibration that way, from a "floating lens" sense. I can honestly say that I've never felt anything with the lens on the camera either, though, and my VR is always on...

As for those referencing the manual stating to turn off VR before removing the lens: OOPS! Never have, on either body, haven't noticed any adverse effects. What kind of problems can this cause?

Eyelight

Just took mine out of the bag, not on the camera, and gave it a test jiggle or two... no odd vibration that way, from a "floating lens" sense. I can honestly say that I've never felt anything with the lens on the camera either, though, and my VR is always on...

As for those referencing the manual stating to turn off VR before removing the lens: OOPS! Never have, on either body, haven't noticed any adverse effects. What kind of problems can this cause?

My first comment was a misstatement. The issue arises when turning the camera off while VR is active, and not simply removing the lens with VR on.

ken2

I believe you are feeling the lens floating around. I have a stabilized lens on a video camera and you swear there are broken parts in it when it's not actively stabilizing.

Because it is so hard to put into words how we perceive something is moving and the receiver of that information to correctly understand it... I would go into a camera store (reason why I buy and support brick and mortar stores so they are around) and let them feel it and tell you if it's right or wrong.

thank you guys for all your replies... my post might have confused you all. What I'm really having is like something is shaking or loose inside the lens when I'm moving with it hanging of my neck, I did Power OFF the camera and set to OFF also the VR and still have the same feeling but not every time... Any how I did brought the camera to the dealer and they told me its the glass and that its normal; they grab the display unit of same model as mine and jiggle a little bit let me hear/touch it and it did gave me the same feeling/sound... though I'm not 100% satisfied with that being normal I accepted the explanation since they assured me that they will replace it if I got problem with lens and it seems working fine....Just out of curiosity based on your experiences does any your lenses gives they same loose glass feelings ? or I'm just too sensitive on my gear since I'm new to it.. TIA

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I use this lens regularly...never had that feeling. My suggestion would be to contact Nikon directly and ask them. Just don't let them talk you into sending the lens in for repair--simply ask them to answer the question.

Moab Man

I have had a similar experience. I'm much more sensitive to things mechanical that I notice things, such as your lens, that other people don't. To me it's screaming out. Others don't know what I'm talking about. Drives me nuts sometimes because I have to know where a rattle is coming from; I can't seem to unknowingly coexist lol.

FastGlass

I can't imagine turning the camera off while the lens is in VR mode and is doing it's thing it would do any damage at all. Why would they make a product that would experience damage when most people would do just that. How many times have you all read something and unintentionally did the opposite. I sorta do it every day. Wife tells me to do something and for some reason, and I don't know why. I don't. And then I get reminded. No harm done just a roll of the eyes.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I agree with hark and Sparky.....take it to the camera hospital if you feel it is something serious enough. They shouldn't charge you just to see if it rattles.

Eyelight

Me clarify.

When the camera is on and VR is on and you press the release button (or in some cases the back focus button), the lens elements that reduce vibration start moving to offset camera movement.

When you release the button, the VR elements lock back in to their cubbyholes.

If you turn the camera off while VR is active (meaning the lens elements are loose because they have not had the chance to settle into their cubbyholes), then they will remain loose until the camera is powered back on.

According to the manual, it does not hurt the lens. Just lets the elements rattle around.

So, if the camera is on, there should be no rattle. And if the VR is settled and inactive before turning the camera off there should be no rattle.

Except maybe some lenses have a little rattle detected by sensitive souls who become one with their camera.

Last edited: