Hey any Old school film shooters in the house?

Bill16

Hey everybody!:D

I didn't start this group myself, but it seems like a great idea for a group and I joined up! So why don't some of you who still shoot film now and then join the group with me!

Old School Film Shooters

Here is my favorite Nikon Film SLR model so far anyway! Lol :)

Shot from listing.

_57-7.jpg

mikew_RIP

Every time i look at the roll and 35mm gear on ebay the romantic in me gets exited,then the realist kicks in and i decide no way :D but i do think its good for any one who has never been very deep into film.

Bill16

But you could always join and share your experience with folks like me, new to film buddy! ;)

Every time i look at the roll and 35mm gear on ebay the romantic in me gets exited,then the realist kicks in and i decide no way :D but i do think its good for any one who has never been very deep into film.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I appreciate it buddy! But I'm not sure if I'll get that far into shooting film to do my own darkroom anyway. :)

If anyone near you offers a B&W developing/printing class, you should consider trying it. Printing in a darkroom is loads of fun! :)

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I think developing in Lightroom is amazing.....but we all used to shoot film. I have a nice old Minolta 7000i, with a 70-200 mm, and a 18-50 mm, I think. I'll have to go look at it again. Took amazingly sharp images.

Eyelight

I appreciate it buddy! But I'm not sure if I'll get that far into shooting film to do my own darkroom anyway. :)

Everyone within the sound of my voice should at least develop one roll of B&W film and make some prints and big prints. It'd be like eating chocolate for the first time.

hrstrat57

Your next Experiment is hunting down a bunch of old-school colored filters for shooting black-and-white. I have a set but you can't have them LOL!!!

completely agree with the black-and-white darkroom experience = essential. I actually got pretty good at it back in the day. The creative things you can do are pretty amazing!

I still have a pretty decent collection of Minolta Maxxum film cameras sitting in the closet

hrstrat57

.....still have one of 2 Pentax Spotmatics around somewhere, a Canon FTBql and maybe an A1 would have to check, my wife shot Canon back in the day.

Unfortunately my pair of F2's and my 1959 Nikon F are long gone but I got big money a few years ago for the "59......

Also foolishly sold off my kit of Nikon F Ai glass, just recently replaced the Nikkor 28 f2.8 and she remains as amazing as before!! I was puzzled at the time as to why I got so much money on eBay for the mint 135 f2.8......what a dummy ha ha!

480sparky

I managed to locate my dad's Tenax Automatic a couple years ago and ran some film through it to test it, and it still works like a champ. Since it was stored in a leather case in a Rubbermaid tote in a closet, the CdS cell has survived quite well. It's the camera that he used to take all the photos of me as a kid.

I have built up a 4-lens field kit for my FM2n, and recently forayed back into MF with a Mamiya RB67 with 90 and 250mm lenses. And just last night, I scored a 50mm for it. So once it arrives later this week, I'll toss up some photos.

I've purchased (or rather, purchased again) the reels, tanks, chemicals etc. needed to develop b&w film, both 35mm and 120.

Bill16

After looking a bit, the Nikon F2 with the works may be out of my budget. So I'm not sure what SLR's I'll end up getting for my collection. But I'm really liking my Nikon F4s! What a great camera! :D
I'm hoping you'll all join the group! :D

hrstrat57

After looking a bit, the Nikon F2 with the works may be out of my budget. So I'm not sure what SLR's I'll end up getting for my collection. But I'm really liking my Nikon F4s! What a great camera! :D
I'm hoping you'll all join the group! :D

I'll keep my eyes open up here for you. Boston area craigslist they pop up all the time, in fact there is a nice F Photomic with 50 f1.4 up right now....

F2 Photomic is king tho, if you really want a collection it needs to be in there as does my ol' 59!

All gone sorry!!

:(

nzswift

My father was a keen photographer. He a a Braun Paxette and an older Junior TLR. Back in about 1960 when I was about 8, I used to go into the kitchen (darkroom) and watch him at work. I can remember vividly how totally amazing it was that you put this sheet of paper in a tray, held onto it with a pair of tongs and gently moved it side to side, up and down and slowly a few faint marks would appear until a few minutes later you had this photo!!!! I thought it was like MAGIC!!!!! Was hooked in a minute.
He taught me to use his 120 TLR and Western light meter and I've never lost the delight in capturing moments in time captured for ever.
Have many film cameras, mostly Nikons and try to shoot a roll or two a year. It's still a buzz shooting film.