D750 Named Camera Of The Year By Popular Photography

J-see

I don't know about others but it's at least my camera of the year. I was already mightily impressed by what my D3300 could do these days but the D750 is something else entirely.

The best I wasted my money this year.

Now let them build one of these with a 48Mp sensor. ;)

BackdoorArts

Great camera, and the second award like this that I've seen. But, I think it just goes a long way to show how the industry hasn't moved past the DSLR. Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera, and I'm thankful that circumstances transpired so that I could get one (the D610 sees little use now), put I somehow think that there may have been something in the mirrorless realm that should have trumped it. Non of the industry rags want to be the first to drive the death nail.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Great camera, and the second award like this that I've seen. But, I think it just goes a long way to show how the industry hasn't moved past the DSLR. Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera, and I'm thankful that circumstances transpired so that I could get one (the D610 sees little use now), put I somehow think that there may have been something in the mirrorless realm that should have trumped it. Non of the industry rags want to be the first to drive the death nail.

Advertising, as you know, drives the mags. That being said, Sony had a huge 10 page full color and full size addition inserted into this edition. I think they're catching on (not as if they've been sleeping), but they know what drives the award winning picks. It boils down to advertising, and so far, mirrorless hasn't antied up enough of the green. I think that's one reason the rags haven't promoted the mirrorless cameras to the level they have DSLR's. I agree with everything you said in your post though. I do think next year might just be a game changer. Mirrorless will finally get their just due. Mirrorless has grown by leaps and bounds and the rags can't ignore them anymore. The readers are buying the rags or subscribing to them online. That's who the magazines have got to consider if they want the advertising dollars from them. Enough....what do I know about marketing? lol

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Forgive me for I know not what I was saying in my response to @BackdoorHippie. To clarify some things that he and I brought up. I went through the magazine cover to cover and 4 out of 5 of the specific camera ads were for mirrorless cameras. The rags are following the money. The other interesting thing is that one of the runner's up is the Fuji X-T1. Panasonics 4/3's mirrorless Lumix was also a Silver Medalist. So, we have 2 out of the top 3 rated cameras by Popular Photography being a mirrorless camera.

I quote: "All of our finalists are great cameras, but the D750 embodies the do-anything, rugged DSLR that remains the object of desire for most photographers. One Popular Photography staffer went so far as to wonder whether, given the growing prominence of mirrorless cameras, this will be the last DSLR to win the coveted title of Camera of The Year. While that probably won't be the case, we do expect that ILC's will continue to impress shooters of all kinds with innovative ideas and powerful bodies. Meanwhile the D750 reminds us that DSLRs remain as relavant as ever."

I think that speaks effectively as to where we are in regards to mirrorless. When 2 out of the top 3 rated cameras this year are mirrorless, that gives the mirrorless community something to hang their hats on.

Rick M

I responded to this post earlier, but deleted it as to not be negative. If I were buying a DSLR right now the D750 would definitely be my choice. It has the best of most worlds, but what strikes me about the award is the lack of innovation. It's great, but it's the same old stuff. I'm thinking Sony may capture that title next year (if they spend enough on advertising). Being a photography magazine, I'm sure it will have to be an Fx that wins, regardless of how good the body is (which will disqualify Fuji and Oly).

sonicbuffalo_RIP

[MENTION=4399]Rick M[/MENTION]......Oly had a nice ad page in that issue as well. Yes.....I agree, it will probably be an FX that wins, and the author of the article practically chose one with their statement about doubting a mirrorless will win next year.

Jon Rowlison

I have nothing against mirrorless-cameras, but what size sensor are they up to now? Can they do "unsimulated" depth of field? Maybe I'm an SLR slob, but I just haven't been impressed by the artistic presentation of the mirrorless rigs thus far. Yes - tiny... I give them that. And light... though not as light as my iphone 5s. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have nothing against mirrorless-cameras, but what size sensor are they up to now? Can they do "unsimulated" depth of field? Maybe I'm an SLR slob, but I just haven't been impressed by the artistic presentation of the mirrorless rigs thus far. Yes - tiny... I give them that. And light... though not as light as my iphone 5s. :)
Well, just for your information, Sony does make a full frame mirror-less camera which can do "unsimulated" DoF. They were the first ones to do it, but you can mark my words that there will be plenty of them that will eventually join the band.

SkvLTD

Mirrorless lacks that reliability and I see that staying given the idea behind it. Too much reliance on electronic everything + trying to be super-compact = crummy battery life and related downsides. How does shooting and seeing into the sun works w/ EVF for seeing the actual scene? And cmon, battery life worth only 3-400 shots is pathetic given that reviewing them wastes more and you'll soon find carrying 4-5 batteries just to be confident you can make it through an action-packed weekend.

Nikdog

Like I said, it's a fantastic cam. It's been a joy shooting since day one. I'm slowly having to decide which other cam I will get and a part of me wants to add another D750.

If it's a backup cam you need for work than I highly suggest a D7100 if you have the lenses that go with both FX and DX. It's relatively cheap, same MP, has great performance, and could give you that extra reach in an unusual situaiton even if your main camera was still working...

J-see

If it's a backup cam you need for work than I highly suggest a D7100 if you have the lenses that go with both FX and DX. It's relatively cheap, same MP, has great performance, and could give you that extra reach in an unusual situaiton even if your main camera was still working...

I don't really need a back-up cam but find one cam to shoot them all impractical. I do have a D3300 but it's hard to go back to DX when you're used to FX. I like my 14bit.

I'd like to add another FX as a slow-cam for my short lenses and use the D750 for fast shooting only. I like the D750 that much, a part of me wants another as a slow cam but I also realize that's an expensive way of not changing lenses. There's still three on my short list (D610 - D750 - D810) and any price changes in near future might influence which of them will be the winner.

It's a luxury problem.

Last edited: