750 freezes, displaying hourglass.

eal1

I own a 610 but I am renting a D750 with the Nikon 35/1.4 (wow, what a great lens) for a few days and have encountered a problem that has occurred three times in a couple of hours while taking only 125 shots: the camera has frozen three times with the monitor indicating an hour glass. I am not taking multiple shots rapid fire filling the buffer, as i am taking photos of a 6 week old baby and these are not action shots. Nevertheless, i have had to wait awhile while hoping for the hourglass to disappear, which it hasn't. So I eventually turn off the camera (which doesn't end the hour glass icon on the monitor) take the battery out, and then put it back in before i am able again to use the camera.
Any ideas what is wrong? I am using new cards, but they are scandisk which are generally reliable. Any advice? I have contacted the rental company, but i am considering purchasing the 750, so please let me know if this is a problem in general, or just this camera, or if there is an easy fix to this, or it is just me!

nickt

I don't have a d750, but in general that sounds like a memory card problem. Memory problems usually persist after the camera is turned off as the camera attempts to finish writing to the card. Did you format the card in-camera? If so, try formatting the card in your computer for FAT32 followed by an in-camera format.

J-see

Does it say "Err" on the display on top? I had a freeze a couple of times in the period I got it and although I suspected the memory card, I'm not really certain. Once it also said empty battery when I put a fully loaded in and I had to take it out and insert again.

Btw did you maybe take a longer exposure shot? If, the noise filtering might be at work but then you'd see "Job nr" on the display.

Last edited:

eal1

Yes, i formatted the cards in camera, specifically doing so to avoid any problem having to do with the card-camera model interface. i don't want to reformat for fear of losing the pictures. If i can find a spare card, i will try that but as i am away, and there is snow here, i might have to settle for what i have. Yes, i could download the current photos but i want to learn the wireless functions on the camera but not until later today.
Meanwhile, I was shooting in a comparatively dark living room, at night, without the use of flash. And. . . just as an aside, the camera is quite remarkable in the dark. I couldn't believe the amount of light it captured. I am using two different lenses . . . both Nikons - the 35/1.4 and 85/1.8. I am really pleased with how the camera renders colors, and captures light. I'll see what happens later today about the freezing. I contacted the lens rental company to see if there is any record of this particular camera freezing like this.

J-see

If shooting in the dark without flash, I'd gamble you have the noise reduction enabled. If you do that, the cam is "at work" as long after the shot as the duration of the shutter during.

You should see "Job nr" flash. There's nothing wrong with the cam and if you don't want it to reduce noise, disable that setting. Then it no longer "freezes".

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Are you using a Class 10 memory card? What is the card's write speed?

eal1

used scandisk extreme pro, write speed - 95mb/sec - yes, class 10...
These are good cards, typically reliable. i don't think the issue was with the cards.
I contacted the rental company but their technicians weren't working yesterday.
Other than this issue - and it was a significant issue - the camera worked well, as expected.
I think the ergonomics of the 810 are better, but the 750 is lighter and weight is important.

J-see

Long exposure noise reduction. Dark living room - no flash.

The cam doesn't have a problem, it was doing what it is designed to do. If your shutter duration was slow, this is what causes the freeze.

Edit: I just tested some settings and the D750 doesn't display an hourglass upon noise-reduction. It says "Job nr" on the top screen and in the viewfinder so that isn't the problem. Even when changing the reduction magnitude, that remains identical. If I shut the cam off during, it ends the process.

Last edited:

sonicbuffalo_RIP

@eal1- Even though I've never used a D750, I am inclined to think it may be a battery problem. The reason I say this is no one else is reporting a problem that is using a D750, and with a rental D750, the unit is always changing hands and recharging habits. It would be so easy for you to have a battery failure on your hand. Think of it as shorting out at different times. Think of it as being an intermitent problem where, possibly within the battery there is a short circuit. I'm just guessing, but I would try to get the company you rented from to replace the battery if possible.

Skierboy

I've just bought a Nikon d750 and I'm also experiencing the same problem with my camera. The battery is fully charged and I have two new SanDisk 32gb 60mb cards. I've emailed Nikon and I'm waiting for a response.