Looking for a supplementary P&S

Nero

So I was thinking of getting a Nikon P&S to supplement my DSLR. I'd prefer one with manual controls, good image/video quality but not too pricey.

Also, could anyone point me to a waterproof case so I can use it underwater too?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Nero

That does look pretty nice. Manual settings, RAW capability, built-in Wifi. Yup, that's definitely a contender.

Last edited:

Chito

I suggest the Panasonic Lumix FZ200. It's got the 24x or 25-600mm equivalent lens with a constant F2.8 across the zoom range. Does raw, has manual controls. And the video is also excellent. Considered one of the best bridge cameras around.

Geoffc

I bought two P7100s for my wife and I. For me they are too noisy if the ISO has to go up much so I've sold one and the other will probably be going. If it wasn't noisy it would be great in terms of controls and feel in the hand. To put it in perspective, we decided our iPhone 5s phones where as good in challenging conditions, hence selling one already. For us we either want very good or a snapshot for the memory, not something in between that could be good but......

I'm currently looking at the Fuji X100T but it will be a lot more expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eyelight

Watching this thread as I'm still thinking.

Everyone shoots different and so has different criteria. As @Geoffc points out, newer phones do a pretty good job (makes me wonder what wonders cameras will show in a few years).

I'm looking to replace my current belt camera, which I use for work primarily and needs to be a little quicker than using the phone and I sometimes have contaminated hands when using. So, the camera needs to be decent but not hurt too much if it needs to take one for the team. And smaller with retractable lens.

Nikon's website will allow you to filter the current line-up by feature, which is how I arrived at the P340. One thing to watch though is they don't have every feature tagged on every camera, so maybe narrow it down, but don't rely solely on the filters.

BackdoorArts

I'm walking around with a Sony a6000 now and couldn't be happier. A little big to fit directly in your pocket, but that's why I carry a phone.

skater

We have a Canon Sx130 IS. We really love it; I wouldn't give up my D7000 for it, but it is far easier to carry and handles ~95% of the pictures as well as the D7000 does. Manual modes, even manual focus. It's a bit hard on batteries but I'm told the lithium ones work better in it (haven't tried them ourselves). This model is obsolete, and I think the current one is the 150.

My wife had it on a photo safari (class) a few years back when I only had the D70. The instructor came up to her and said, "You know, we're all jealous - we spent a lot more but your pictures are just as good." It has a pretty good zoom, perhaps 300mm equivalent IIRC.

My biggest gripe aside from the batteries is the lack of Raw output, but that aftermarket Canon firmware (chkdk I think) supposedly will fix that (haven't gotten it working yet). Otherwise, it's an extremely capable camera, at a ~$200 price point, give or take.