Not open for further replies.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Coming to town.jpg

Kitch anyone.jpg

Monthly Assignment: Kitsch decorations

This month's assignment is all about laugh and fun. Go around your city and try to capture the Kitschiest of X-mas decorations. Just have fun and enjoy your Nikons.

Assignments are designed to help you grow your photography skills and creativity, and have fun doing so. Assignments are to make all of us photographers think outside the box also.

The Rules
  1. Any photo submitted for a monthly assignment must be taken during the month specified in the assignment thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIFdata can be verified, we will use the honor system.
  2. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge. Links to photos will not be considered an entry.
  3. Only three photo entries per member, for each assignment, unless otherwise indicated.
  4. Assignments will be judged solely by the panel. Individual voting via post "likes" will be incorporated into the final selection of the winning photo.
  5. Judging criteria is based on the Twelve Elements of a Merit Image.
  6. The panel will select 5 shots to be displayed in the Monthly Challenge forum and homepage of the site.
There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the assignment. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the assignment subject.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Re: December Assignment: Kitch decorations

Question...do you mean kitsch? I knew someone named Kitch though. :)

Krs_2007

OK, I had to look that up to make sure I had it right.

Kitsch (loanword from German) is a low-brow style of mass-produced art or design using popular or cultural icons.

Dont have to go to far, just look next door from my house.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Entry #1, I wonder how they were able to go so high to install the tuque.

1MC_3374-2.jpg

Bob Blaylock

From a house not far from where I live. They've got, on the whole, a fairly impressive display of lights and decorations, but this inflatable Santa Clause would seem to be the definition of “kitsch” as I understand the term.

Stock 18-55mm “kit lens” on my D3200. Three shots, 1 second, 2 seconds, and 4 seconds, at ƒ5.6, ISO 100, 55mm; HDR processed using Microsoft's GeodesicHDR.

geoHDR_dsc_5487_dsc_5486_dsc_5488n.jpg

Additional pictures from this display at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_blaylock/sets/72157649232145150/. The rest don't really qualify as “kitsch”, but I may enter one or two more of them if I don't find any better examples as the month is running out.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
This thread immediately came to mind when the following video showed up in my Facebook news feed. Seriously...wish I could have photographed this for the contest! It's a holiday light show using porta-potties! ;)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Entry #2. My neighbor really likes colors, and more colors. D600, 24-120 f4

Mme Carrier.jpg

Felisek

this is really great but certainly not kisch. IMHO !
It's just really nice.

Ah, you see, this is a serendipitous picture. I was doing my weekly challenge of symmetry in town and took this picture just because the Christmas tree looked nice. Only in post processing I noticed all these flares and saturated reds in the background (not intentional). Though the decorations are not so kitsch, I decided that with the fancy flares the picture itself looks postcard-kitsch and decided to submit it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.