Canon 50mp, FF, Mirrorless Camera??

J-see

50Mp seems a bit much me thinks. It's like developing a cam that makes the rest of their products irrelevant.

AC016

50Mp seems a bit much me thinks. It's like developing a cam that makes the rest of their products irrelevant.

If it ever materializes, i would imagine their target market would be pro photographers. Why would it make the rest of their products irrelevant? Nikon has a 36mp camera and people seem to still buy the rest of their DSLR line-up.

J-see

If it ever materializes, i would imagine their target market would be pro photographers. Why would it make the rest of their products irrelevant? Nikon has a 36mp camera and people seem to still buy the rest of their DSLR line-up.

Yeah but 24 or 36 isn't that much of a difference. Doubling however is another thing. I'd not directly switch to a 36Mp Nikon although the D810 is still somewhere in my head whispering but if they'd add a 48Mp to the line, I'd probably be camping in front of the store.

Last edited:

traceyjj

I thought Canon had "settled" on the 20ish mp for their range... I thought I had read somewhere that they saw no need to go higher?

AC016

I thought Canon had "settled" on the 20ish mp for their range... I thought I had read somewhere that they saw no need to go higher?

I think every company has said that at one point in time, even Fuji said it and now they will most likely bring out a 24mp camera. You can't stay at status quo for long when everyone else around you is upping the game and MP become a market driver.

AC016

Yeah but 24 or 36 isn't that much of a difference. Doubling however is another thing. I'd not directly switch to a 36Mp Nikon although the D810 is still somewhere in my head whispering but if they'd add a 48Mp to the line, I'd probably be camping in front of the store.

You would go for 48, but not 50? :confused:

J-see

You would go for 48, but not 50? :confused:

50 feels too much like halfway there. ;)

I'd go for a Nikon 50 but Canon isn't my thing. I'm from the days when you had to play polo if owning a Canon and go yachting during the weekends. Twas not my kind of people and that feeling attached itself firmly to Canon.

Last edited:

J-see

I'm actually curious what the limitations will be. Maybe it'll be like computers and they develop some new method that suddenly opens the door to insane increases. Maybe within ten years we can crop a 35mm and have the same quality as an 800mm these days.

Panza

This rumor has been around for 4 years... but occasionally it resurfaces. Id be happy if they decided to make a 36mp or a 48mp sensor though. Landscapers would rejoice.

Moab Man

I've read many a time that larger size pixels are better for catching light. I wonder why no one has considered a larger format sensor like the days of film. You could do 50, 100, etc and use large pixels for the ultimate in low light with monstrous pixel count. Done day dreaming and mentally wandering.

J-see

A larger format would only be great for specific kinds of photography. When birding or macro it would seriously depress me.

Last edited:

wornish

I've read many a time that larger size pixels are better for catching light. I wonder why no one has considered a larger format sensor like the days of film. You could do 50, 100, etc and use large pixels for the ultimate in low light with monstrous pixel count. Done day dreaming and mentally wandering.

They already make sensors with more than 50 MP in medium format but the lenses cost a fortune due to the manufacturing challenges. I have never seen a birding or macro shot taken with a MF camera.

DX seems to be the the sweet spot for max pixel density and quality glass at a price normal people can afford People on this site constantly prove this with the excellent quality of birding, and macro shots shown. But larger pixels do give you more dynamic range and and thats where FX wins.