Looking for a good walk-around lens with good close-up ability

yjd

Hello,

I have a Sigma 17-70 which I love and use all the time on my Pentax. When I'll switch over to Nikon, should I just get the Sigma 17-70 OS or go with the 16-85 or just get a 18-200?

My main interest are landscape, close-up and some candid portraits with that one lens. I occasionally shoot some wildlife.

Thank you for your comments!
Yael

fotojack

Unfortunately, there is no do-all lens. The reason they make so many different lenses is because there are so many different applications they're used for. What I call a general all around walkabout lens is the 18-55mm , or even the 18-200mm lens. There's a combination of wide angle and zoom there. For wildlife, I'd suggest a longer zoom, such as the 55-300 or even the 70-300. A lot depends on the depth of your wallet and what you feel you'll be shooting most. As you said yourself, 'my main interests are landscape (16-85), closeup, and some portraits, occasionally some wildlife (55-300, 70-300, etc.)' So you don't really have a "main" interest.......you have many interests. :) Hence the need for many lenses.
Welcome to Nikonites, and we hope you find what you're looking for here.....but most of all, have fun taking pictures......when you switch over to a Nikon. ;)

yjd

Thanks Jack.

Though, is the 16-85 better than the Sigma 17-70 for landscape, candid portrait and close-up? I'm mainly worried about the close-up.

What are the differences between the 16-85 and the 18-200? I know I'll be loosing in the wide angle, but that isn't bad.

yjd

a close-up with a standard zoom, like the sigma 17-70. If there is nothing better, then I'm fine using that lens.

fotojack

If I thought I could do everything I wanted to do with one lens, then I would have saved a LOT of money and gone with the 18-105. But as it is,my tastes vary with the subject I want to shoot. Hence the need for more than just one lens. As I stated before, you're not going to get by with just one lens. Closeups require certain lenses, but it begs the question; how close up do you want? Or do you want macro shots, as in extreme closeup? General closeup shots........anything between 70 and 200mm will do. Better closeups........anything between 70-400mm. Macro...anything between 60 and 120mm macro lens. See what I'm getting at here, yjd? Lens choice is subjective, depending on your needs.

As far as the Sigma 17-70mm.......nothing wrong with it at all. But it's just one kind of lens. For us to say use this or use that wouldn't be fair to you.
I hope this helps in some way on your buying decision.

yjd

Let's forget the 18-200, I guess it's was different question.

I understand that, so it means there is no equivalent of the Sigma 17-70 OS from Nikon. And that the 16-85 won't be able to do close up like the Sigma.

I was looking for close up and not macro.

Last edited:

Rick M

In about a week or two I'm ordering a 16-85 as my walk-around lens. I find myself using the wide end of my lenses range the most. I think it's the best range in a standard zoom in it's price range. According to most reviews (pro and user) the 16-85 has outstanding image quality. If I need more reach I'll probubly get a 70-300 to compliment the 16-85, as I like the higher cross-over point (as opposed to my 18-55 coupled with a 55-300). Additionally,16mm is as low as you can get in a standard zoom within the nikon lineup.

You might to do a search in flickr to see how this lens performs at close range.

Last edited:

yjd

I've seen pictures with the 16-85, really sharp!
But the extra cost with limited close-up might not be what I'm looking for, though the range would be perfect!

Mestre

I own a 16-85 that i use as my walk around lens and i'm quiet happy.

I also use the 85mm for portraits with good results.

great american

I have the D40X. I recently returned from Alaska where I took over a 2 wk period 1900 pics. The two lens I have are 18-55 and 55-200. With the 18-55 I couldn't get close enough for close ups and when I switched to the 55-200, I did ok with close up, but then was too close when doing normal picture taking. Can someone recommend to me one more lens? Would it be the 18-200 and would it fit my D40X? Thanks

Curt

I agree the 18-55mm is your best choice, its pretty cheap, has the best close up range, very sharp lens, light, etc.
Read the reviews. Best bang for your buck.

fotojack

I have the D40X. I recently returned from Alaska where I took over a 2 wk period 1900 pics. The two lenses I have are 18-55 and 55-200. With the 18-55 I couldn't get close enough for close ups and when I switched to the 55-200, I did ok with close up, but then was too close when doing normal picture taking. Can someone recommend to me one more lens? Would it be the 18-200 and would it fit my D40X? Thanks

Take a look at the 18-105. Very nice lens. Great walk around lens.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the 18-200 would be a great lens for your D40. I have one and have used it extensively. It's "THE" lens I will take on a vacation any time. It does have it's limits, but for vacation, I find it's better than lugging the whole lens bag around all day and having to continuously switch lenses.