Permission

ohkphoto

Snow White
Click on the link, Joe, and in your browser, "add to favorites" if you're using internet explorer, or "bookmark" if using Firefox.
Or you can print it and save a hard copy.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Very interesting read Helene. Last weeks Photo Challenge of the week was my first attempt at Street Photography / People. I guess I did what I was not suppose to do, Yep, I grabbed my monster zoom lens and headed off for downtown Chicago and shot "from the shadows". I like capturing people in their natural environment. I feel stopping and asking someone on the street to take his or her photo is a "posed" photo.

Maybe I misread the article, but I have to ask what we did was it in bad taste, wrong, or just a gray area?

We really enjoyed doing this and we want to do it again, however we'd like to do it the "correct" way.

Rick & Christine

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm not sure that there is a "correct" way other than following your sense of ethics. David DuChemin talks about this in his book "Within the Frame" and I think photojournalists/documentarians face this all the time. I've tried the 70-300 mm on groups of people on a street and have not been happy with the results. And it has nothing to do with ethics. I find that to capture the "flavor" of a place, I need a more intimate lens. And actually, some of my nicest shots are the ones where I've asked someone to hold a particular pose and snap a couple after they drop the pose. people are really interesting to photograph, and for the most part, pretty gracious about being photographed.

So, in answer to your question, no, I don't think what you did was in bad taste. But you should try it both ways and see which gives you the kind of photos you want.

Browncoat

I like this article. It's not preachy and it doesn't give a tongue lashing to those who have opposing viewpoints. I thought it was very well-written.

As for the topic at hand, we've touched on this a few times in different threads. Aside from the obvious no-nos, street photography "ethics" are largely a matter of personal preference. Working for the paper has definitely made me more bold, though I think given my assertive personality, most of you would be shocked to know that I am fairly timid while out and about. I've had my finger hovering over the shutter button many times while aimed at the homeless, and can never bring myself to take the photo. The same with the elderly. They're my Kryptonite.

This area just isn't populated enough for "true" street photography, so I may never have a chance to test myself. Though I do agree with Helene: the telephoto just doesn't produce quality street photos. You have to get in there and go elbow to elbow with people to make it happen.

Last edited: