Roses are red

Mike150

Thanks to Helene (and no wind), I decided to try a little Focus Stacking using my 105mm Macro. CS5 does a pretty good job.

Here is the results of 6 shots ISO was 200 Shutter 1/200 Aperture f3.2. Camera was 3' from the rose.

RoseStack N1.jpg

OBTW. This was the first rose of this season and from the looks of it there will be a lot more.

Mike150

This is a climbing rose plant. Normally it's on a Trellis up against a brick wall. I made the trellis from Pressure treated 2x2s. That particular stem broke free over the winter, and I haven't braved the thorns to put it back. The Rose was about 5' in front of the Trellis. At F3.2 and 3' distance, the DOF is really shallow. I took 6 shots, adjusting the focus a little for each one.
I then used Focus stacking in CS5 to blend all the shots.

KWJams

Looks great. Since the image fills the entire frame the shallow DOF works well since the back ground would be a geometric pattern of bricks. The lighter areas of grey made me think that there was dappled sunlight behind it but a real overcast day.

JoeLewisPhotography

Nice shot but perhaps, not the best subject or angle to really get a grasp on the focus stacking. This shot is easily obtainable without any focus stacking at all.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Good job, Mike. Hats off to you for doing it in photoshop! This is a nice shot in itself. Like Joe said, you want to use focus stacking on a shot that you can't get good depth of field without it, otherwise it's not worth the effor. Like this shot is easy: line up a bunch of apples and shoot front to back.

11-02-24_212931_M=B_R=8_S=5.jpg