Lightroom photo edit help

MikeD7000

Can anyone please tell me how to make a photo like this in lightroom?
Thank you.

enhanced-20638-1399302363-12.jpg

Photo source: 29 Newborns Who Really Nailed Their First Photo Shoot

J-see

There's no easy answer to that I fear. It all depends upon the photo you start with so telling you to up the highlights or do this and that has little use unless we know what shot you want to adjust.

Maybe you should try look for some presets out there that have a somewhat similar look and then toy with them until perfect. There's a ton of them out there.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Pure conjecture....but I get the drift that the OP is wanting to use Photoshop to create somethinglike that. Only, they're confused about what capabilities LR and PS have. Just a thought and sorry if I'm wrong.

J-see

It's a nice shot but would it matter how much editing is done? I doubt clients care about how much or exactly what work it required. They care about the end product.

I checked the site and she uses LR and PS but mentions to do minimal editing. That's a bit like thinking you're a vegetarian because you only eat meat twice a week.

singlerosa_RIP

Maybe the OP thinks the dog isn't there in the original and was blended through layers in PS. Can't say from this pic that I'd swear the dog is in the original baby pic. Maybe I'm hallucinating after too much turkey. ::what::

BackdoorArts

Step 1: Take a photo like that.

Step 2: The easy part.

Seriously, there's lots in that shot that you could be referring to. I'm assuming it's the treatment (high key, high structure), which is possible to do in Lightroom - but as Step 1 states, you need to start with a photo that allows for it.

Now, if you have a photo you've taken that you want to process so it resembles that one then you'll need to post both. Otherwise I've already given you two step, easy instructions.

MikeD7000

I think that depends on what you mean by "make a photo like this"... Do you mean the sort of soft-light, high-key effect that's going on or... Are you referring to something else?

Yes, I mean exactly that. That soft-light, like some filter or PS layer is in front of photo. I tried many presets but I can't find appropriate one, so I am asking what settings should I use in lightroom if is it possible to get such effect :)

Eyelight

You almost have too much color for the effect to work. Notice there isn't much color in the Hanna Mac image, which lends to the lighting effect. But here is an attempt. Others will have a different idea and/or technique, but basically you want to de-emphasize color and soften without losing detail or making it look simply overexposed.

Settings in the screen clip. I also used the adjustment brush to add exposure to all the color except baby's face and puppy dog. I did not take great care in doing this and you could do better using the original.

Capture_baby_Dog.JPG

141129_DSC_8505_1000.jpg

J-see

I tried but gave up. This sure isn't my thing.

DSC_8505.jpg

If you go to the Tone curve and select the RGB channel, then move both ends a bit towards the middle you directly flatten out a part. Maybe if you start there, you get where you want.

curve.jpg

Last edited:

wornish

As @Eyelight says you have too much colour in the background to get it exactly like the original.

I have gone overboard a bit but used two brushes

1 on the background to remove most of the colour.
Background desaturation.jpg

and the second on the dog to make him/her more gray.

Dog more gray.jpg

This is the result its not exactly like you want but it shows what can be done.

DSC_8505-Edit.jpg

Think I have aged your dog by about 10 years though :)

You can spend many hours playing with the brush tool.