Hasselblad has no shame.

AC016

Hasselblad has no shame, announces new Stellar II camera | Photo Rumors

Here is just one tidbit from their pretentious marketing material:

"Hasselblad expands its compact camera line with Stellar II, not intended to be judged against other cameras, rather, conceived and crafted exclusively for Aficionados, Collectors and Connoisseurs."

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "... not intended to be judged against other cameras,...." Seriously???? It's a f_cking Sony RX100 II that retails for $649!!!

172.gif

Blade Canyon

I will say that it was Hasselblad's choice of the Sony RX100 that led me to investigate and buy the first version of the RX100, and I love it. Not as good as a DSLR, but much handier. Just took it on the Appalachian Trail for four days. The lack of a viewfinder is the biggest negative, but they have fixed that in other versions. Also, the mode wheel gets rotated accidentally going in and out of pockets or a carry case, so you have to remember to check that.

Horoscope Fish

*lights cigar with $100 bill*
*shifts slightly on William Vile overstuffed chair*
*Ponder these posts thoughtfully*
*Sniffs loudly*
*Time Passes...*

Egads, I appear to surrounded by veritable cast of Cretins *sigh* Please note the BOLD, yet refined expression. How the artist has employed a rich palette of fine woods on both on the camera and packaging. Both of which are highlighted by unique finishes and details. Ye GODS! Have you no... appreciation for such things?

No? Well... Mores the pity, eh? Yes... Yes indeed.

AC016

*lights cigar with $100 bill*
*shifts slightly on William Vile overstuffed chair*
*Ponder these posts thoughtfully*
*Sniffs loudly*
*Time Passes...*

Egads, I appear to surrounded by veritable cast of Cretins *sigh* Please note the BOLD, yet refined expression. How the artist has employed a rich palette of fine woods on both on the camera and packaging. Both of which are highlighted by unique finishes and details. Ye GODS! Have you no... appreciation for such things?

No? Well... Mores the pity, eh? Yes... Yes indeed.

This average Joe will just buy the Sony, without all the crap that Hasselblad has bolted on.

Bob Blaylock

Hasselblad has long been a brand associated with those who only want the best cameras, and are willing to pay a very high price for them. I believe their current line of what can fairly be called “true Hasselblads” have prices in the tens of thousands of dollars.

I was surprised, some time ago, to learn of their “Stellar” and “Lunar” models, which are basically fancied-up versions of Sony cameras. My guess is that while Hasselblad thinks that its tens-of-thousands-of-dollar cameras are its core business, that it needs something that it can sell to a larger, lower-budget customer base, similar to a role that, for a time, I saw Ford's Mercury brand filling for Lincoln Dealerships, so that they could have something to sell to a more middle-class customer base and not just depend on fewer sales of the higher-end Lincoln models.

But looking at the article—$2,395 for the Hasselblad Stellar II compared to $648 for the Sony RC 100 II on which it is based. I bet that technically, there's no difference between them, that the customer is, in effect, paying $648 for a camera and $1747 for a bit of fancy aesthetic trim and a prestigious brand name.