Lens rental - LensPimp.com

SteveH

This isn't a one off deal as such just a review of my experience with a supplier, but I thought it may be useful to others and this seems to be the most appropriate area to post - Mods please feel free to move or remove if needed!

There are a lot of places that charge fairly hefty deposits or even pre-authorise your plastic to the full value of a lens when you rent, and when I wanted a Nikon 70-200 F2.8 for a particular project I went out looking at various rental companies.

I found Canon Nikon Lens Hire, Lenses for Hire, Hire Lenses | Home | Lens Pimp, who rent out both bodies and lenses (UK based) and was surprised to find that a Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VR2, came in at £147.00 for 14 days. I don't NEED the lens for 14 days, just 4 days, but with a trip away coming up I thought what the heck for that price!

It was Friday & I was at work, and I wanted the lens to arrive on Monday for my trip starting on Tuesday. First time customers need to provide some copies of ID confirming who you are and your address - But being at work, I didn't have their preferred forms of ID with me. I got my wife to take a photo of my passport & I copied my driving license. I called them up, and they were very helpful, and said that they would get my ID over to their insurance company ASAP to check that they will accept it and if there is a problem, they would let me know.

The price I was quoted is the price I paid. £147.00 all in - No deposit, no extra for insurance, no proof of existing insurance needed - The lens is covered by their insurance, with a £250.00 excess if it is damaged in my care.

I ordered the lens for next business day, pre 1 pm delivery - Bearing in mind I ordered on Friday afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised to have the lens arrive at my door at 9am on Saturday - So an extra 2 days for free!

The lens was well packed, in the original Nikon pouch with the end covers and tripod mount as you would expect, and also the box included all the return address labels etc for returning the item. Looking the lens and pouch, I would say it a few months old and in very good condition.

So, after looking at places that rent lenses for more, and take up to £250 extra as a deposit, I am VERY happy with Lens Pimp! Would I use them again? Absolutely! Good service and value for money are rare these days so I thought I would let you guys know on the off chance you are looking to rent any gear.

Disclaimer - I don't work for the company, nor do I know anyone who does. I am simply a happy customer!