Tamron Lens for D3100

uriah07

Looking at buying a:
Tamron AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical AF Zoom Lens

The website says its compatible with Nikon. Anyone have any experience with this lens? Or maybe Tamron in general?

goz63

I don't but curious of what you are getting the lens for? On your D3100 it is going to work like a 42-120mm lens in the FX format. I assume you have a 18-55 that came with your camera. If you are looking for a little more reach for a walk around lens, I would recommend the Nikor 18-105. It will give you more reach in either direction and is a great lens. Another option is to go with the 55-200 or 55-300 Nikor lenses. All have focus motors in them so you will be able to auto focus. Not sure if the Tamron has that or not. Make sure it does if you want to auto focus. The d3100 does not have a focus motor in the body.

I usually try to go with Nikor lenses (they have excellent glass) if I can. Unless it is cost prohibitive or for some reason the OEM glass is rated better, which is seldom the case, I bought a Nikon so I could use Nikon glass.
Just my 2 cents worth.

goz63

Did a little research and most of the informed opinions of this lens is that it is usually carried as a "throw away lens". Meaning if you are going to go somewhere that you have a decent chance of damaging your equipment, then use this lens. You will be out little if it gets wrecked. Look into the options I listed above if you are looking to expand your camera bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Most of the people I've talked to about Tamron lenses consider them a hit and miss brand of lens. Some work well, some don't. I'd recommend a Tokina if price is an issue, or stick to a Nikon lens. Much better glass and focus for the money. Tamron.......not so much.

uriah07

Thanks! I have both the 55-200 and the 18-55. I will look into getting the 18-105. I'm being cheap, but don't want to waste money at the same time. A guy told me tamron was good, but he seemed a little weird. I prefer to buy the same brand. I'll just spring for nikkor.

JackMan

I have purchased the Tamron 10-25 wide angle. I have the 18-55 and 55-300 Nikon lenses as well.
I really like the Tamron and find the quality of both the lens and the photo output excellent. I purchased the display unit at a major retail operation and paid half of what the cost of the comparable Nikon wide angle lens would be.
Moral of the story. Check out the competition with your own eyes. If money is no object buy the Nikon lens. Certainly you can build a core of Nikon lenses with other manufacturers and still accomplish your goals. With these three lenses I feel I have my dream team