Fuji's XT1 New Firmware Update A Killer

BackdoorArts

That's a lot of stuff, and it speaks volumes to me about Fujifilm and why, were I just now getting into this hobby, I'd be taking a serious look at them. Why? Because what they've essentially done for their customers is to give them a body upgrade. Think about what we've seen between releases of a Dx200 and Dx300 body. It's pretty much the same camera and sensor, but with some nice feature upgrades. Now imagine if, instead of releasing a brand new body Nikon instead issued a major firmware upgrade. 95% or better of current Dx200 owners wouldn't think to buy the Dx300 just to get those features, but it does leave most of them feeling like they now own old technology, while new buyers get the latest and greatest. But had they simply left the Dx200 alone and issued the firmware upgrade, not only would they have experienced no perceptible loss of sales from upgrades (unless they are hoping that the feeling of owning old tech drives them to the next level camera), they would likely instill a sense of both gratitude and confidence in the brand, creating a far more loyal customer.

Bravo, Fujifilm.

mikew_RIP

We have had a Fuji camera for a lot of years,first a 602 then 7000 and now HSEX30,whilst these are EVF cameras and i dont enjoy using them my wife does, she has had great results over the years,if making a move from Nikon Fuji would be my first consideration,even in the film days they came along and soon had the king Kodak worried.

BackdoorArts

"Agreed", says the guy who just bought a Sony. I have no intention, at the moment at least, of abandoning my Nikon DSLR's and going full bore mirrorless, but if I did I would probably go Fujifilm. My decision on the Sony was based purely on the hole I needed (OK, wanted) to fill, which was a compact, APS-C camera that delivered great photos at under $1000 with a lens. Had the comparable Fujifilms been $200-300 lower then I might have decided differently, though the 16MP vs. 24MP factor may still have won the day for Sony.

That said, the plethora of new Sony models announced this week leads me to believe that they are operating very much in the same vein as other makers with new models trumping new firmware. It'll be interesting to see if Fuji continues down this path.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I don't think I made a mistake buying a Sony. We just had a firmware update to the A7 line. One of the few things (few compared to Fuji) the firmware did was to speed up the start up time to get the camera ready to snap the first picture. I notice quite a bit of difference. There were some other minor tweaks. Nothing on the scale of what Fuji did. So, either Fuji was way behind other manufacturers and needed to catch up, or they're just trying to build brand recognition. Either way, I say it's a plus, but I don't expect them to continue in that vein. They would go out of business. My hats off to them for giving this "freebie" to current customers. I almost bought a Fuji, but I wanted a full frame sensor, and a good one, and Sony has probably the best sensor out there. Fuji is still in the DX phase of their development, but we'll see what happens. I think it's way too early to say which manufacturer will be leading the pack when all is said and done. My brains tell me Sony coming out with a PRO line of mirrorless is pretty serious stuff. I would have to say if Sony lives up to it's hype with the Pro line, and indeed professional photographers begin to use the Sony Pro line, the battle for the mirrorless will be close to being won by Sony. Still, Fuji, has a long way to go to catch up to full frame bodies that Sony first introduced. I don't mind giving kudos to Fuji for a great firmware release. I wish that all camera makers would do the same, but they won't. I'm just happy that Sony came out with a firmware update for their current A7 users right before they announced a new and improved a7 II. You can't rule out Olympus either since they're right at Sony's doors with a 4/3's brilliant camera too!

Last edited:

Rick M

It really is amazing what can be done after the camera is in the hands of consumers. To fix or change a function electronically just shows the potential. I think these companies aggressively seeking market share will offer the most capable and up-gradable bodies. Look at what sigma has done with lenses, allowing customization of focusing parameters.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I would think that Nikon could have just sent a firmware update to the 610, to what is now the 750. Sensors pretty much the same, and FPS essentially the same. I think Nikon released the D750 to help erase the debacle of the D600's dust and greasy sensor blemishes. Nikon needed a new name....badly!

Last edited:

AC016

Fuji has done this a couple of times already, namely with the X100 and the X-E2. Both cameras got firmware updates that would have equaled Fuji bringing out an updated model. The x100 was the very first X camera for Fuji and when the s model came out, lot's of people felt like Fuji had forgotten about the original model. Then everyone was surprised when the 100 got a nice firmware update. With the X-E2, the last major update more or less gave you an X-T1, just as the X-T1 was getting into the hands of people. Sadly, Fuji has announced that they will now most likely only update recently released cameras. That means my XP1 is left behind in all of this. The XT1 is turning out to be an amazing camera, especially with 1/32000 shutter speed. That's insane!

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Fuji has done this a couple of times already, namely with the X100 and the X-E2. Both cameras got firmware updates that would have equaled Fuji bringing out an updated model. The x100 was the very first X camera for Fuji and when the s model came out, lot's of people felt like Fuji had forgotten about the original model. Then everyone was surprised when the 100 got a nice firmware update. With the X-E2, the last major update more or less gave you an X-T1, just as the X-T1 was getting into the hands of people. Sadly, Fuji has announced that they will now most likely only update recently released cameras. That means my XP1 is left behind in all of this. The XT1 is turning out to be an amazing camera, especially with 1/32000 shutter speed. That's insane!

If I was a Fuji owner, I'd be a happy camper today too! In fact, by Fuji releasing a major firmware update, it makes me happy as a Sony user. Why, you might ask? If nothing else, it puts pressure on Sony and other manufacturers to either release a substantial update, or perfect their models before release as they just know that Fuji is going to update their firmware on their newer bodies. I'd say it beneifts the whole community and keeps them all on their toes! Hats off to them!

AC016

If I was a Fuji owner, I'd be a happy camper today too! In fact, by Fuji releasing a major firmware update, it makes me happy as a Sony user. Why, you might ask? If nothing else, it puts pressure on Sony and other manufacturers to either release a substantial update, or perfect their models before release as they just know that Fuji is going to update their firmware on their newer bodies. I'd say it beneifts the whole community and keeps them all on their toes! Hats off to them!

It was a bit of a gamble for me to go with the X cameras. Fuji was not making any money for the first 2.5 - 3 years. They just started to make a profit this year. Before the X-T1, they were only selling 150,000 +/- units of any given model. As with Sony, Fuji's camera division is just a small slice of the big pie that is Fuji.

Rick M

It was a bit of a gamble for me to go with the X cameras. Fuji was not making any money for the first 2.5 - 3 years. They just started to make a profit this year. Before the X-T1, they were only selling 150,000 +/- units of any given model. As with Sony, Fuji's camera division is just a small slice of the big pie that is Fuji.

It is surprising how some of these companies stick around (or I should say, hold on to weak divisions). I was seriously looking at Oly over a year ago, but they just looked to unstable to invest in a new system with. Then they come out with an entirely new line of pro lenses with releases up to 2016 and new bodies in development.

AC016

It is surprising how some of these companies stick around (or I should say, hold on to weak divisions). I was seriously looking at Oly over a year ago, but they just looked to unstable to invest in a new system with. Then they come out with an entirely new line of pro lenses with releases up to 2016 and new bodies in development.

Yep, it is quite amazing how these divisions survive. It's almost as if it is just a side-project for them, kind of like a hobby. Sony has been told a few times to just get rid of it's electronics division. I think when you have passionate people behind a project, it can only go in the right direction.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

@Rick M...you jumped on a good bandwagon....your pictures look brilliant. The competition is intense and getting more so by the day with all the activity amongst the mirrorless manufacturers.

Rick M

It seems Sony has pumped a ton of money into other divisions of Oly. Now Sony comes out with a version of Oly's EM-1's 5 axis IBIS (notice how they market is as the first 5 axis stabilization on a full frame camera), what ever it takes to stay alive is fine with me! :)

BackdoorArts

I would think that Nikon could have just sent a firmware update to the 610, to what is now the 750. Sensors pretty much the same, and FPS essentially the same. I think Nikon released the D750 to help erase the debacle of the D600's dust and greasy sensor blemishes. Nikon needed a new name....badly!

On this we'll have to agree to disagree. "Pretty much the same" isn't the same, and neither is essentially the same. And it's sort of hard to improve on physical ergonomics or add an articulating screen via firmware.

AC016

And it's sort of hard to... add an articulating screen via firmware.

196.gif

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It seems Sony has pumped a ton of money into other divisions of Oly. Now Sony comes out with a version of Oly's EM-1's 5 axis IBIS (notice how they market is as the first 5 axis stabilization on a full frame camera), what ever it takes to stay alive is fine with me! :)

Rick, are you telling us that Sony owns Olympus?

Rick M

Shared technology benefits them both (Sony sensor's, Oly's IBIS stabilization). Plus they won't be competing with the same format. This will probably keep Oly in M4/3 only.