D7000 school???

Dave Hamilton

I apologize if this seems a simple minded question but I just made a move from film to digital. I learned to shoot in the 1970’s on a Nikkormat FT3, went to a Nikon FM2, and eventually through two F3’s. I learned to shoot using every feature each camera offered even though manual was always my preference.

My D7000 offers so much more than I ever dreamt possible. I bought it in November and I have taken at least 25,000 shots with it. My problem is that I feel that I’m not doing my camera justice because I don’t know how to use all the features it offers.

Is there a camera school taught by Nikon, or by a true Nikon Professional, that will teach me how to use ALL the features on my D7000? Have any of you gone to a class of this type?

AxeMan - Rick S.

Dave you might want to check out "YouTube" it's loaded with stuff, you might have to weed through a lot but you'll be surprised what you might find. Just a thought

Rick

Dave Hamilton

I've done some You Tube searches and you are correct about availability. Being an educator, I would actually like something more structured. Going back over the years I've done some really nice work with my cameras, but I really feel that the D7000 could allow me to do amazing work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

Finding classes specifically on the D7000 will be difficult at best. While the camera is popular it's usually not economical for an educational facility to sponsor camera specific classes. Usually you can find classes at the local collages on digital photography but they are usually not camera specific. You might be able to find a Nikon camera club in your area that can help or even a general photography club usually will have a number of Nikon users. Most of us rely on other digital photographers who use the same camera for answers. That's where this site has great value. There are a number of D7000 users here with the experience to answer your questions on the camera functions. And as has already been stated the internet is a good source for information.

Mike150

Check with your local camera shops. The larger ones often offer classes in the evenings. They will probably have lists of individual instructors. I connected with a local full time professional photographer and part time instructor. She had Beginning DSLR and Intermediate DSLR classes she taught on her own. She was a Cannon (ugh!) user, but she was familiar with Nikon and others. Her classes taught the basic features found in all cameras. She also taught One on One classes (if the price was right).

Dave Hamilton

Thanks Mike, but I live in a pretty small area where the Camera shop is called BEST BUY. In the past we had a couple of WONDERFUL shops but the big box guys put them out of business.

After shooting manual for many years, and then doing some AP work, I understand how to shoot which is what the local guys teach. For many years I was a teaching our students how to shoot with the rule that they used fully manual all the time. That way they did the work and not the camera.

I'm just looking for help in using the camera itself. This Morning I found a pretty good ap on my iPhone. For better or worse I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again for your suggestion. BTW, I would be willing to travel if there is a real national level Nikon School that lasts a week or two.

Jon

Here in Canada, Henry's offers a D7000 workshop. But again, if Best Buy is the nearest "camera" shop, well I guess you could buy these books: Nikon D7000 for Dummies or Nikon D7000 digital field guide.

Vermontster

I am not one to usually promote things, but I have a subscription to Lynda.com. There is a wealth of education concerning photography on that site. I suggest you browse their site and see some of their instructional training videos.

Moderators and/or Mr. Admin Guy, please let me know if this type of recommendation is not appropriate for future reference.

Vermontster

I'm a big fan of the Nikonians' workshops. [/URL].

Eduard - Have you attended any of their workshops? If so, which one(s) and was it informative or "very" informative? I might be interested in checking one out; but it would be good to know if someone (other than a Nikonian) has been to one.

Thanks, Chris

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Hey Chris:

When I upgraded to the D300 from the D70s I struggled a bit. I'm in Philly and drove down to Raleigh to attend the workshop. It made a huge difference in my ability to get the shot I wanted. The class was held in a hotel conference room and limited to 12 people. It is very hands on. I used my own camera which works well and increases your confidence IMHO. At one point we even took the class into the parking lot to work on exposure compensation. The instructor encouraged questions and participation. The scariest part was cleaning the sensor - something I've never had to do again. Thankfully.

I recommend it without reservation. One of the best photography purchases I ever made.

Ed

Vermontster

Thanks Ed,

They have a couple workshops in NYC in June. I may just sign up. THANKS for the recommendation. I will let you know how it turns out.

Chris

happlegate11

If you find a class have you though of maybe just skypeing the class instead of traveling....there are a lot of teachers who are willing to do this if you just ask. I have done a few classes that way...not specificly for my camera but just to be a better photographer in general...but I'm sure there is one out there camera specific if you look and just ask the teacher :) Hope you find something..I myself just got the D7000 for Mother's Day, my stepping stone step up until the D700 becomes available again...but so far LOVE this camera so much! :)

Joseph Bautsch

I have to second the recommendation on taking the "Master the Nikon" class from the instructors from the Nikonians. I took the one on the D90 and the instructor was great, he knew the camera and was a good teacher. The class had only 15 students. If you have a chance to take the class, go for it.

Curt

For those of you that own a ipad there are some great apps for the D7000. I downloaded two really great ones.
If you have any of the other models of Nikon cameras there are apps for them all. Just type in Nikon in the app store and you will find tons of great apps for your ipad.