Something I learned about off camera flash

grandpaw

This weekend I was asked to take some family pictures and decided to set up two flashes and use the Nikon CLS system to trigger the flashes. I went over early and set up my stands and speedlight only to find out that the left light worked every time but the light on the right hand side would work sometimes and not do anything at other times. After playing with it awhile I figured out the reason for the problem with the flash on the right giving me intermittent problems. It worked every time when shooting in landscape mode but when I turned the camera to portrait to take a picture the right flash didn't see the commander flash of the camera because the camera flash was blocked by my lens and camera so my right speedlight wasn't receiving any signal to fire.

I do have one Pocket Wizard for on top of my camera and another for a flash but didn't have another to use on the second flash so I went with the CLS Nikon system which failed me. When I get some money I will be buying a couple more Pocket Wizards to eliminate any further problems.