3rd Party Battery Grip For D750

AC016

Nikon is not the only one that is out of it's mind, so is Fuji. The grip for my XP1 is $150 and it is just a piece of plastic (ABS i presume) with some rubber and a metal screw. Mind you, i did not pay their extortionist price. I got mine for $50 from a guy on a Fuji forum.

HG-XPro1 hand grip.jpg

WhiteLight

Well, true it's a lot cheaper
But the quality is quite cheap too..

I got a 'cheap' one for my D7000, made of plastic and immediately returned it.
Got the expensive one (5-6 times) & it really is awesome, worth the price diff.

Not knocking on the cheap ones, cos i have one of those for my D5100 and it has been working great so far (more than a year), but you get what you pay

BackdoorArts

I've had Zeikos grips for my D800 and D600 and had zero issues. Phottix grip for the D7100, same thing - rock solid. I have Nikon grips for my D610 (got it with my bargain D600) and D7000 (out of fear of the noise I heard about 3rd party grips) and I will say that while they are indeed more solid, they have not performed any better, and that's a huge chunk of change in between.

That said, the fact that D750 grips are just shipping from Nikon, I'll be waiting until Spring until I get one just to let the bugs work themselves out.

rocketman122

Nikon is not the only one that is out of it's mind, so is Fuji. The grip for my XP1 is $150 and it is just a piece of plastic (ABS i presume) with some rubber and a metal screw. Mind you, i did not pay their extortionist price. I got mine for $50 from a guy on a Fuji forum.

$50? seems a bit high, no? I bought a D600 grip with two decoded batteries for $72 shipped. and thats just a simple grip with no electronics.

$370?!?!?!?

yes and hard to even find atm. stock is 0-low. Im waiting for more models of 3rd party grips to follow very soon and prices to come down. $70 is right. I think ill buy two so if I ever need one, I dont have to wait a month for shipping. I can always sell it later. good for peace of mind.

Since I don't shoot weddings and rarely take more than 200 shots in a day.....don't need a grip. Guess I better be glad I don't need to get a grip! lol

many pros I know who shoot weddings and dont use a grip. they walk around with their 24/28-70/70-200 2.8 with no grip at all. doesnt seem comfortable to me.

Ive shot many weddings with my no name chinese grip for the D600 and had no issue at all. it did its job wonderfully. the 3rd party batteries I bought were just as good as the nikon, if not better. I also bought 2 extra battery chargers for $8 shipped a piece.

I dont buy anything nikon anymore. grips/flashes/batteries/cables/eyecups..nothing. their greed has a new high. well I guess with 6 quarterly revenues that are crap and stock the lowest in more than 3 years, you have to thieve money somehow.

paul04

I would have a look around and see if you can find any reviews on the 3rd party grip.

To me it would depend on how much I would use the grip.if you was only going to use it occasionally, then I would go for the cheaper one.

rocketman122

I would have a look around and see if you can find any reviews on the 3rd party grip.

To me it would depend on how much I would use the grip.if you was only going to use it occasionally, then I would go for the cheaper one.

Ive used mine for many weddings with not a single issue. ive seen many protogs use 3rd party grips for weddings. awesome build, awesome price, works reat, looks great, fits great. seems more people are concerned with "omg, its 1mm off from the oem" or "well nikons is all metal" BS, it has parts of it in metal. but its just as plastic as 3rd party. ive had nikons, but theyre just overpriced. no one is arguing theyre bad. thats not the problem. but for the crazy price tag, the 3rd party grips are that much better.

compared to 4-5 years back when asian aftermarket parts were quite bad, today they upped their level and theyre stealing a huge chunk from the oem companies. A HUGE CHUNK of their sales. Lee morris from fstoppers has no issue using a 3rd party grip for the weddings he uses, not sure why any enthusiast would have an issue.

and same for batteries. you might not remember the recall to the D200 and D7000 batteries nikon issued? yea, I remember.

3rd party mfr have excellent products today. from excellent flashes from yongnuo, phottix, pixel, meike, godox AND NEWCOMER SHANNY-WOW!

SHANNY – Flash & Trigger Models | FLASH HAVOC

Last edited:

scotchtape

If it works, then 3rd party all the way!!!
I have bought many many after market batts.
95% of them work amaze.

Have purchased 6 after market grips and they all work pretty good.
One had a batt drain problem that mysteriously went away after I opened it up.

10/10 would purchase again :)

Horoscope Fish

Third party battery grip for Nikon D750 camera: Pixel Vertax D16 | Nikon Rumors

Nikon Grip = $369.95
3rd Party Grip = $89.36

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmmm..."
I have one of these grips and I've been using it for the past few weeks. I got mine cheap because the original owner was suffering the battery drain issue (if you're not familiar with this, search the reviews on Amazon, et al for this grip; it's a very common complaint). I wanted a grip because I have big hands and want the ergonomics of a grip so the battery issue, really, is immaterial to me. I insulated the data port on the grip so it really doesn't "do" anything but provide a better, more ample gripping area. If I wanted I could store an extra battery in the grip, but I don't; I leave the grip empty for the weight savings.

The battery drain issue is very real in my experience, however. When testing the grip I found I was losing charge at about eight or nine percent an hour. This was with both the battery grip and camera body turned "off" and sitting on a table. On the upside, the build quality of the Pixel Vertax grip is great. Really, really good and I mean right down to the last detail. I tossed the previous owner a few bucks knowing about the battery issue because, again, I want the ergonomics the grip provides, so I'm a happy camper. Had I paid $90 for this, along with the battery drain issue, I'd have been pretty pissed.

Edit: Amazon Reviews HERE for anyone who might be interested.

Last edited:

rocketman122

I have one of these grips and I've been using it for the past few weeks. I got mine cheap because the original owner was suffering the battery drain issue (if you're not familiar with this, search the reviews on Amazon, et al for this grip; it's a very common complaint). I wanted a grip because I have big hands and want the ergonomics of a grip so the battery issue, really, is immaterial to me. I insulated the data port on the grip so it really doesn't "do" anything but provide a better, more ample gripping area. If I wanted I could store an extra battery in the grip, but I don't; I leave the grip empty for the weight savings.

The battery drain issue is very real in my experience, however. When testing the grip I found I was losing charge at about eight or nine percent an hour. This was with both the battery grip and camera body turned "off" and sitting on a table. On the upside, the build quality of the Pixel Vertax grip is great. Really, really good and I mean right down to the last detail. I tossed the previous owner a few bucks knowing about the battery issue because, again, I want the ergonomics the grip provides, so I'm a happy camper. Had I paid $90 for this, along with the battery drain issue, I'd have been pretty pissed.

Edit: Amazon Reviews HERE for anyone who might be interested.

Im certain if you contact pixel they will replace the grip for certain. they may say retrun it to the store but I would insist they receive it.

Kroontje

What about Phottix ? I used one on my D800 and works fine. Don't know the price in dollars, but i payed € 99,00 here in Holland.
It is a good product ;)

Roger Ramirez

I have a battery drain with my neewer battery grip with remote control. with only 46 shots it has 68% from 100%.. how can I fix it or is damaged? all buttons and functions works well.

Bill16

I'm of two minds about third party grips! I've had some that worked very well on my D3100 and my D5100 when I had them! But I've had one on my D90 that nearly fell apart at the seams, so I tossed it out and bought a OEM grip for the D90! I fell in love with the quality of that grip and started buying OEM grips from then on!

But now once again I was considering a third party grip, since the D800e takes a very very expensive OEM grip! But even so I'm still strongly leaning towards the OEM grip, to save on regretting it later if I don't go oem while I have the chance(money)! Also [MENTION=9753]Scott Murray[/MENTION] pointed out the feature of using a D4 battery in it if I want to, which appeals to me though I don't need the extra battery life!

So hopefully tomorrow I'll be buying an OEM MB-D12 battery grip, and if I'm lucky a L bracket to go with it! The bracket will likely be neewer brand, to save on cost! Talk about costing a lot, just look at top brand L brackets for a D800 with grip! A bent piece of metal with cut outs cost like $180.00 for heavens sake!

Scott Murray

I'm of two minds about third party grips! I've had some that worked very well on my D3100 and my D5100 when I had them! But I've had one on my D90 that nearly fell apart at the seams, so I tossed it out and bought a OEM grip for the D90! I fell in love with the quality of that grip and started buying OEM grips from then on!

But now once again I was considering a third party grip, since the D800e takes a very very expensive OEM grip! But even so I'm still strongly leaning towards the OEM grip, to save on regretting it later if I don't go oem while I have the chance(money)! Also @Scott Murray pointed out the feature of using a D4 battery in it if I want to, which appeals to me though I don't need the extra battery life!

So hopefully tomorrow I'll be buying an OEM MB-D12 battery grip, and if I'm lucky a L bracket to go with it! The bracket will likely be neewer brand, to save on cost! Talk about costing a lot, just look at top brand L brackets for a D800 with grip! A bent piece of metal with cut outs cost like $180.00 for heavens sake!
Ah but the extra FPS is a bonus :)