D610-d7100-d750

Welshy74

Looking at upgrading my D3200. I primarily take sport shots and mainly Rugby and Ice hockey. What would you recommend for this I know the ff are better in poor light but is that much difference. Dont want to shell out on ff when it wont be a massive difference to me

480sparky

Given the D7100 is a DX body, you'll be gaining better low-light capability and not have to upgrade your glass. Of course, you can always get an FX body and shoot in DX mode for even better low-light capabilities.

Whether you need that low-light ability depends on the venues you're shooting in.

J-see

I first had the D3300 and now mostly use the D750 and when it comes to low light, my DX simply can't compete with the FX. It makes a serious difference in those situations.

Krs_2007

Not one bit, although I shoot with a D600 and primarily shoot sports, I have never ran into an issue with how the focus points are setup or the lack of focus points.

I shoot Baseball, Basketball, Football and Wrestling.

But keep in mind that lens is a big part of this and I shoot with a 70-200 f2.8, its Nikon but others use 3rd party lenses with success.

Here are few recent wrestling shots, which the lighting conditions are pretty equal to a hockey rink.

_K1S2603.jpg

_K1S2701.jpg

_K1S2735.jpg

Krs_2007

Do your research and take some time. Going if FX is nice, but it will cost you more money in the long run. Now, those are from the D600, but I have been thinking about the 7100 as a backup body. They have similar ISO ranges, but I want to see if I can borrow one before I buy it. The 7100 is loved by many.

And Thanks.

Pretzel

Full frame, or FX, light sensitivity is MUCH better than any DX currently, so it depends on the lighting conditions where you shoot. I do sporting events with the D7100 here and there, and it's a champ. BUT (everywhere I go...) I only shoot in daylight and/or VERY well lit conditions. A full frame should get you more than a full stop of low noise ISO performance so you can crank it a bit higher and keep the shutter speed that you need, even when light isn't quite as favorable.

Then, comparing the D610 to the D750, I'd say go D750, just for the extra cross-type focus points (faster AF when you have those moments that can't be lined up perfectly). Combine that with some nice glass, and you should be set. Having said all that... most ice rinks I know of, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot the D7100 at all, and most rugby matches that *I* ever get to come across are held in full daylight, but there aren't any "stadium" matches here, so not sure what the lighting would be there.

Any place you could rent a D7100 and/or one of the FX bodies for a day to compare? That would probably give you the best answer for how it performs per your expectations.

hrstrat57

From where you are at kit wise right now you should grab a D7100 otherwise you will need to replace all your glass immediately......

You can thus plan a migration to full frame by replacing one lens at a time. You might still want to start with that now by choosing a faster full frame (f2.8 or f4) tele or zoom. The D7100 is a brilliant bit of kit king of APS C currently IMHO.

Krs_2007

D750.. Best for low light and has group area focus for action ..

Of course I missed the D750, if you are making the jump to FX then by all means go with the 750 as its the latest and greatest. From what I have seen it does surpass the D6## series in low light performance. Again, if you go this route you will need the lenses to take advantage of the sensors abilities.

It all boils down to cost.

D7100 with your current lenses
D7100 and upgrade to better lenses
D6##/D750 and upgrade your lenses

Lots of choices and I just put that in order of cost.

Welshy74

Thank you guys. Looks like I have a lot of thinking to do. Am swaying towards the D7100 and upgrade the lenses slowly. Would all FF lenses work on the D7100,

Welshy74

Would the buffer on the 7100 be that much of an issue. I shoot jpeg mostly at the moment as still learning to shoot before I go to raw ad something else to learn (post processing )

Rick M

Your glass is a bigger problem than Fx vs Dx. I think the D7200 is going to solve the buffer issue. Get better glass (Fx 2.8) first then worry about Fx vs Dx, sometimes the crop factor and increased DoF is a blessing!