Auto focus ON functionality: back button focus

eal1

Just saw this on Nikon Rumors: New Nikon Support article - Vibration Reduction (VR) functionality when using AF-ON button: "When using a Vibration Reduction (VR) lens on a D-SLR camera, the AF-ON button will only activate the cameras focusing and metering systems, it does not activate the lens VR function. To activate the VR function the shutter release must be used."Read more on NikonRumors.com: Weekly Nikon news flash #289 | Nikon Rumors

I adapt the ae-l/af-l button for back button focusing. If this means i lose VR functionality, i will go back to the shutter-release focus function since
i find VR very helpful. TO your knowledge, am i interpreting this correctly, that we lose VR if we use back button focusing? I have looked at a good number of you tube videos, and none mention this. Does this suggest to you that there is need for a firmware update on your nIkon DSLR?

480sparky

You shouldn't lose VR. It should engage when the shutter button is pressed.

VR is just not engaged by pressing the AE-L/AE-F button alone.

J-see

I just checked mine. I have assigned the AE/AF as focus and the VR activates when I push so it shouldn't be an issue.

Even if I had to make the choice between VR or back-button, I'd pick back-button.