Problem with external flash

lcserpa

Hi all,

My 5200 refuses to recognize my Yongnuo YN-468II (for Nikon) external flash. Even when it's attached to the hot shoe, the internal flash continues to (try to) pop-up on auto/scene modes and iTTL does not work at all on any mode. But the external flash fires every time. Does someone had similar issues?

thanx in advance

WayneF

Other than a defect, make sure the flash is fully and deeply seated into the camera hot shoe. It sounds like a contact misalignment, not fully seated. The large center contact triggers the flash. The other three small pins recognize and communicate with the flash, including TTL. Use an old toothbrush to make sure the shoe and foot pins are not dirty or blocked.

lcserpa

Thanks Wayne,
I considered this. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be just an alignment matter, as far as I can check. The contacts look fine and correctly positioned, the plate slides tightly and locks firmly.
What amuses me it's the fact that the camera doesn't even recognize the presence of the unit (popping up the internal flash), but fires it, what I supposed was both done trough X-sync/ground.
Anyway, I'm trying to borrow a Nikon flash from a friend to identify if it's a camera or flash malfunction, but I was curious about any known yn468II/D5200 compatibility issue, or even a yongnuo recurring quality flaw... Of course I was not expecting the same stuff for half the price, but I found good reviews about this flash...

framos917

Did you ever get a solution to this? I have a D3200 and had the same issue with YN-560ii. With assistance from this forum I thought my issue would be resolve with the TTL YN468 model. However it sounds like you are having same issue with the 468 as I had with 560 that being the built in flash always popping up.

Thanks

Horoscope Fish

I had the same problem... It turns out YN468 is not compatible with newer cameras (D5200, D5300, D5500, etc) :<
The Yongnuo 468 isn't compatible with Nikon cameras period except possibly as an all manual flash.

The Yongnuo 468-II is the Nikon-compatible (i-TTL) version of that flash.