Sony a6000 - First Impressions

BackdoorArts

My a6000 arrived from B&H on Thursday, and as I opened the box I was surprised to see that Sony does not cover their LCD screen with protective plastic. There were some slight smudge marks on the screen, but the way in which I removed it from its bag may have cause them, so I shrugged it off. Then as I read the all-too short manual about getting started it describes how to go about attaching the Eyepiece Cup, which seemed to be already attached to mine. OK, great, so this obviously wasn't its first trip out of the box. Stuck the battery in (it was charged at 9%, so I figured that was probably a good sign), set the time (another good sign) and squeezed off a test JPEG that came through as DSC00001 (another good sign), so I let my paranoia ease a bit about just how new this camera was. I then took the battery out to charge it only to find out that Sony no longer ships an external charger with their cameras (I can buy one for $43) so I had to charge it in-camera (a process that takes 310 minutes according to the manual). So now I have a camera on an 18" cable sitting perched on a table edge so it can reach an outlet. Not happy, but see that I can get a 3rd party charge with 2 extra batteries for under $30, so I'm not too upset, knowing I'll need spares when I see that the manual estimates only about 350 shots per charge (it's actually a lot more than that - this is with WiFi on and flash firing on 1/2 the shots).

So, I decide to let it charge and read the manual to see what this can do. 10 minutes later, I realize learning what the camera can do is not something found in the manual as I'd managed to read the entire thing in that time. Where Nikon does a decent job at walking through the various menu options and attempting to explain them, Sony simply, well, lists them. Seriously, here's a screen grab with everything they tell you about these Camera Setting menu options.

Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 7.56.55 AM.jpg

Clicking on some of the can produce a list of various radio button options, and not only does the manual contain no information about what each choice means it doesn't even contain a list of the choices!! Essentially, Sony is asking the photographer to figure it out for themselves. This isn't my first rodeo, so once the camera was charged I was able to figure out how to make my Sony work pretty much like my Nikon, so I was at least good to go. But I wasn't satisfied, so I did some hunting and found this video from B&H with Gary Fong...

In it, he states quite emphatically that Sony's documentation is worthless in terms of learning the camera, and while he has no direct connection to Sony hereally loves the camera, and because of this has produced his own series of videos showing people how to "unleash the power of the a6000". He sells that video for $13 on his website, but in this free tutorial I got most of what I needed to know to be able to set the camera up properly. Let's just say that what I did initially was what he did initially, and it leaves most of the power of the camera unused. Thanks, Gary. Seriously!!

So, armed with the new camera and new knowledge I went out shooting yesterday for the first time. I did some shooting around Easton, which is in the process of transforming their center square into its Christmas format, where the statue is made into a giant Christmas candle. I used the Sony to squeeze off this shot (only minor LR edits applied)...

DSC00153.jpg

So, I get home and load them up. It should be noted that the 16-50mm kit zoom vignettes rather badly at 16mm. This is not something you see in-camera because the camera (apparently) applies distortion correction on JPEGs and the preview image, but when I got it into Lightroom I was quite surprised - but once I applied Lens Profile Correction it was fine, But it makes me wonder what I'd get with a UV/clear filter which is something I'd been seriously considering given that I'd love to be able to stick this in my coat pocket, and the lens cap is a bit small and easy to lose and I don't want to scratch the front element which.

Then I noticed something quite disturbing in the shot above. A nice spot on the sensor in the lower right corner. I looked at other shots and sure enough it was on every shot I'd taken where that part of the frame was clearly discernible. And this shot was at f8!! While you can remove the lens from this camera I had not yet done so, figuring, "Why invite even the chance of dust?!", and yet here it is. Now I'm wondering, just how "used" was this "new" camera?

I did some searching and found one site that has managed to decode the Sony EXIF and reveal the actual shutter activation count. So I grabbed a JPEG off the card and sent it in...

Sony a6000 Shutter Count.jpg

What this is telling me is that someone unwrapped the camera, put it together, removed the lens, fired off two shots and sent it back to B&H before they reset it and sent it to me. Given what I've spent there I'm not really thrilled by this, and would have been far more forward about them with it were they open on the Sabbath yesterday to take my call. But, I've had a night to sleep on it, and I plan on reaching out as soon as they open today to make sure that this is remedied with all due haste. Thankfully they're inside the one-day UPS shipping distance, so if I get a return label today, ship tomorrow, they'll have it Tuesday and I'll hopefully have one by Wednesday - though I will be reminding them to look at my Account History with them and highly recommend they ship one out on tomorrow (it's not gonna happen).

As for the camera? I like it a lot in the limited use it had yesterday. I'm not Gary Fong crazy about it thinking it could replace my DSLR's, but I do believe that once I'm comfortable with it I'll be happy to use this as a walk around and casual (as opposed to destination) travel camera. There is apparently an adapter that will allow me to put my Nikkor glass on it and retain functionality - it's not cheap, but neither is replacing/replicating glass. The 11 fps has a lot of potential to grab some cool shots I'd miss otherwise. The sensor is actually really good, with it comparing favorably with the D7100 sensor at DxOMark (for those who put stock in those numbers)...

Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 8.29.07 AM.png

So, color me disappointed with the experience, with Sony's documentation, and with B&H's restocking strategies, but not with the camera. I did a lot of homework and legwork before going here, and outside of the run-around I'm about to be in the midst of, I'm not regretting my decision. I'll post some fully formed photos when I get through them today.

Rick M

Hopefully you'll get a quick exchange! I've developed a habit of opening electronics in stores to make sure the one I'm buying is still sealed, ect (annoys my wife :)). Buying online does present a bit of a gamble, but I've never had that experience with B&H.

Glad to see you venturing into mirrorless, But you should have gotten the Oly EM1 (or Em10 for compact) and 12-40 2.8 pro :)

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the camera review. Sorry to hear B&H reboxed and resold a used camera as new. They've always told me they don't do that. I'm sure they will rectify the situation. Good luck and please be sure to keep us updated, Jake! :)

BackdoorArts

I shouldn't be quick to blame B&H for anything intentional. The original purchaser may have done this and then reset the camera themselves and B&H didn't bother to fully check an "unused return" outside a visual inspection. They've always delivered or quickly rectified situations in the past, so as long as they do right here I'm fine.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

Return authorization received and apology proffered. Alas, unless I want to pay for a second and get a refund on the first they cannot and will not ship the replacement until "1 to 2 days after receiving the return". Good news is that they'll get it on Tuesday. I will make sure to place a call to them as soon as I know it's been signed for to see if I can expedite the shipping, but even if it ships Thursday I'll have it before the weekend. Bit of a nuisance, but hey, first world problems, right?

He was able to tell me that this system showed no prior sales or a floor location for that serial number, so he has no idea how this might have happened, so it could have come from Sony that way. We'll never know, but I'll be more certain on the next one.

Whiskeyman

Return authorization received and apology proffered. Alas, unless I want to pay for a second and get a refund on the first they cannot and will not ship the replacement until "1 to 2 days after receiving the return". Good news is that they'll get it on Tuesday. I will make sure to place a call to them as soon as I know it's been signed for to see if I can expedite the shipping, but even if it ships Thursday I'll have it before the weekend. Bit of a nuisance, but hey, first world problems, right?

He was able to tell me that this system showed no prior sales or a floor location for that serial number, so he has no idea how this might have happened, so it could have come from Sony that way. We'll never know, but I'll be more certain on the next one.

No telling how it may have happened. I can't imagine opening an operable camera and sending it back with only two shots. I'd have to have a few more than that to determine that it wasn't for me. I'm interested to know if the next one arrives with a protective screen cover and the eyepiece cup attached...I hope it works out for you.

I was looking at one of these (a deeply discounted return with a everything still included) at a local store last week, but before I could talk myself into it, someone else liked it faster than I did and bought it. I saw them pick it up and somehow felt that they'd done me a favor, since I don't really need to spend the money.

WM

sonicbuffalo_RIP

@jake....my Sony didn't arrive in the original box but I bough it refurbed. I wasn't the happiest with their lack of a charger, but I received one as part of a bundle deal. I couldn't bitch too much since I did get one for free. I wish you the best and the picture you posted was crystal clear but I did notice the spot before you mentioned it. I was going, oh boy.....Jake won't be happy with that. Mine had dust spots after using it one time. I think all mirrorless cameras are more susceptable to dust on the sensors. I haven't seen any since I wet cleaned the first time. My blower wouldn't do the job. Good luck, and I hope B & H makes you happy.

BackdoorArts

As has been mentioned here, a sensor turned on is nothing more than a dust collector with the charge it carries. Given that it doesn't hide behind a mirror and shutter full time I suspect the longer it's on in various environments and lying in various positions (i.e. on its back) the faster it collects dust. Interesting that yours collected dust that quickly, so I'll keep an eye out. Knowing I'm surely the first one in there them less unhappy I'll be when I have to clean it the first time.

The lack of a screen overlay surprised me a bit because it seems to be standard on anything that can be scratched, but the fact that the manual speaks directly to installing the eyepiece cup makes me believe that even if it hadn't been sold someone had been in there. The camera was in a protective white foam bag, but had no plastic wrap at all, and every new camera I've ever purchased has had a plastic bag over it of some sort, either inside or over the protective bag.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

"A bit more detailed" is the understatement of the year. I hate the way it's organized, at first glance, but it's at least something to search through. I found nothing of the sort in my searches on Sony's site or via Google. Thanks.

I forgot to tell you that Sony's 'welcome to us' material is more like "we've got ya now"....good luck learning about us! :cool:

BackdoorArts

Jake, so what are your thoughts on the a6000?

Great little camera - really like it a lot. I've been shooting almost entirely with it over the holiday. Took some time to figure out all the intricacies of the menu and auto-focus systems, but once I got things sorted out things were a lot easier. It takes some fantastic shots, though there are some quirky things I'm still working with. While it won't replace my Nikons, it is my grab and go camera lately.

Krs_2007

Great little camera - really like it a lot. I've been shooting almost entirely with it over the holiday. Took some time to figure out all the intricacies of the menu and auto-focus systems, but once I got things sorted out things were a lot easier. It takes some fantastic shots, though there are some quirky things I'm still working with. While it won't replace my Nikons, it is my grab and go camera lately.

I did did see the instgram shots and just wanted to see what you though. I have been looking very hard at them. I was leaning towars nikon v3, but still haven't decided. How does it handle in low light shots?

BackdoorArts

Colors are pretty darn accurate and it seems to yield an overall more evenly metered shot than any of my Nikons - fewer hot spots and less highlight recovery needed. The one weird thing is the Auto WB tends to deviate more shot-to-shot, which could be seen as a good thing since it's always checking (even at 11 fps), but if you're doing a series of shots it's a little strange to have the WB shift just a touch in every one. I can't see it replacing my DSLR's, but I can see it getting a lot more use than they do on day-to-day casual shooting.

eal1

What factors led you to this camera instead of a fuji XT-1 or an Olympus OM-D-1, or a sony A7II or just using your new
750? I am curious since I keep vacillating between selling my 610 and 7000 and going canon, or supplementing my 610 with a fuji XT-1 or sony a7II. I went to a sony store at my local mall on Long Island, NY but they didn't have an A7ii to
look at. I checked out some of the other Sony cameras and, no doubt, the A6000 is light and fast. Enjoy.

BackdoorArts

I could put a lot of words around it, but "price, size, features and performance" are why I got it. It doesn't replace anything, it augments my DSLR's.