What If The Problem Is That You Suck?

Nero

Well then a lot of people will never know what the problem is because their brains can't comprehend the thought that they could possibly be wrong. :p

J-see

I think one of the problems is that many after a thousand clicks feel they now could become a professional photographer.

Strangely after unclogging the toilet five times, few of us feel the desire to become a professional plumber.

WhiteLight

But it is also well known that 'practice makes man perfect'
So if even average Joe does this day in & day out, he is bound to get better at some point

Browncoat

Have read any of his books?

Nope. This was just something that came across my photography news feed today. ;)

But it is also well known that 'practice makes man perfect'
So if even average Joe does this day in & day out, he is bound to get better at some point

Yeah, that's a pretty well known tidbit of advice. Here's another one that you probably haven't heard:

"Perfect practice makes perfect."

That came from my old high school baseball coach. And you know what? He was right. Funny how little things like that stick with you for the rest of your life. Because you can practice all you want, but if you're doing it wrong in the first place, then all the practice in the world isn't going to make you any better.

There's a kid (mid-20's) over on the DPS forums who is bound and determined he's going to be a pro. The problem is, he has no talent. He keeps bouncing back and forth...one month he's a wedding photog, the next he's doing stock photos, and the next he's trying commercial work. It doesn't matter what he does, he's doing it wrong. Be it the actual photos, marketing, sales, or whatever. He just doesn't have the right stuff. He gets an "A" for effort, though.

RocketCowboy

Yeah, that's a pretty well known tidbit of advice. Here's another one that you probably haven't heard:

That came from my old high school baseball coach. And you know what? He was right. Funny how little things like that stick with you for the rest of your life. Because you can practice all you want, but if you're doing it wrong in the first place, then all the practice in the world isn't going to make you any better.

My high school band director used that quote too. If you keep practicing the same mistakes, you get those mistakes down, perfectly.

The article makes good sense, even if it is a bit in your face. Some can really stand to have that direct hit of reality to wake them from their haze.

Don's name sounds familiar to me, like I've seen either his work or another article from him somewhere, but I can't place the source. Either way, I'm always looking for photography related news feeds to add to my list, so time to add that in as well. :)

Horoscope Fish

Quoted for Great Justice.

Just my two-bits but I think too many people get nothing but well intentioned, and totally unqualified, positive feedback from friends, family and places like Facebook which leads to a false sense of just how good a particular photographer sometimes is. If you *really* want to know how good your shots are, start by taking some college level coursework and putting your shot's on the crit-rail alongside forty or fifty other photographers who have degrees in Fine Art, equipment easily equal to your own, years of experience and who don't give two s--ts about hurting your widdle feeling's. I've seen grown men brought to tears.

Last edited:

Browncoat

If you *really* want to know how good your shots are, start by taking some college level coursework and put your shots up on the crit-rail alongside forty or fifty other photographers who have degrees in Fine Art, equipment easily equal to your own, years of experience and who don't give two s--ts about hurting your widdle feeling's. I've seen grown men brought to tears.

Amen to that.

AC016

Wow, he sure uses the word "suck" a lot, the most i have seen in any article. Actually, he uses the word 35 times in various forms (suck, sucked, sucking). A thesaurus may be in order for this guy, because it really sucks when someone uses the same word over and over again.

Anyhow, i am happy with my day job and have no aspirations of becoming a "pro". Good article though.

Stoshowicz

Shock value editorial ,
Y'know , most folks lives are filled with enough doubt and confusion about their efforts
that they really don't need someone to underline it disparagingly.
Yes, good feedback would be helpful if one could get it , and then make it work for them. That would be rare.
Saying things suck , isn't helpful criticism, no one wants to suck at their hobby or job,
so we already have any motivation we would get from negative input.

One either does what would make them generally successful in other folks eyes- or they don't.
There are folks who can take a picture of a roach with their cell phone , and have it turn out to be wildly popular,
the rest of us need to just satisfy ourselves,
,. and come to terms with the results we get from the efforts and expense we want to invest.

That's just my opinion though.. and I'm sure the 'know it all' would say I suck too.

STM

In the realm of modeling photographers there are what we call GWC's, which stands for "Guys with Cameras". These are guys who go to Walmart or Best Buy, get an entry level DSLR with the kit lens, take a couple hundred images of their friends and then pass themselves off as "modeling photographers". As you might expect, their images are little more than snapshots. Subjects perfectly centered in the frame, no depth of field control, no use of fill flash when it is needed, etc. In other words, they suck.

To my horror, I read a profile of one of these GWC's who stated for a 2 hour shoot, that he would shoot 200 frames and guarantee 10 good shots. In a 2 hour shoot I may shoot 50 and 40 are good. I immediately emailed him and told him he needs to remove that from his profile. For you to broadcast that you have a 4-5% success rate that you are telling the entire planet that you totally suck as a photographer. I offered to take him on as an unpaid assistant to mentor him on some of the finer points of modeling photography and his response was indignant. I thought fine, if you want to be a lousy photographer your whole life have at it. I am certainly not going to waste my time with you. I have told aspiring models that although everyone has to start somewhere, as I did a long time ago, they have to keep in mind that their modeling portfolio is their resume. You would not walk into a job interview with a resume hand written on a cocktail napkin. Why then would you have crappy images from a GWC in your portfolio?

Last edited:

Blacktop

I've seen grown men brought to tears.
Over photography? Someone should be pulling their man cards.

Running out of beer, dog dying, and maybe a few other things that might be acceptable causes for man tears.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

The article is a great one. That being said, I've been known to have been a photo snob at times. I'll be the first to admit I suck and don't work hard enough at photography to ever be a pro. I just enjoy taking pictures and experimenting. I also have an adversion to those photographers who think that PS is the cats behind...I like to see natural photography without a bunch of image tricks. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy image tricks but would never pay for more than one.....and it would have to be spectacular. I do love LR though and see the benefit of using that program.

Last edited:

eal1

OK, so i have rediscovered photography fifteen years after taking pictures of my children. I vacationed in Italy four years ago, took a small camera, and so enjoyed taking shots in churches, of art, of architecture that i purchased a D7000.
That led to a 610 and i will upgrade soon (maybe changing companies!). I think i lack the requisite knowledge to sell myself as a pro, and would not wish to risk the disappointment of a client relying on my photo skills. actually, i know i have a lot to learn about capturing light in a way that fits my vision . . . and that is where the fun lies. SO, yes, maybe i "suck," but that's OK, because it is so enjoyable to grow and play and imagine and carry whatever camera and lenses i can afford. If anyone is offended that i "suck" at this, that is their problem. i am merely enjoying myself and harming no one in the process.