Photo Quality

uriah07

I know this is a beginner camera, and I am the king of beginners, but how good is the quality on this thing in comparison to more expensive cameras. I've been practicing about 6 months and my buddies say some of my photos look professional, but I don't feel they measure up to the quality of the work I see on the internet. I guess I'm wondering if this camera is capable of professional work. I thought it was a good place to start just in case I decided that photography wasn't my thing... I would at least have a good camera. I'm going to upgrade if I stick with it long enough. What do you gals/guys think?

fotojack

Firstly, don't second guess yourself. If people like your work, you must be doing something right. :)
Secondly, what camera do you have? You don't even mention it, so how are we to answer your question about its quality compared to others? :)
If you would fill out your profile, it would help us help you in answering any of your questions. Tell us what camera you have, any lenses, flashes, etc. that you're working with. How much experience you have, etc etc.
And lastly, have fun with your camera, take lots of pictures, learn it inside out, and enjoy the experience. Welcome to Nikonites. :)

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

I don't understand why you are questioning the photo quality of this camera? The D3100 is a good camera so don't sell it short. It has many of the features of a "pro" camera body and at 14.2 mp with a Nikkor lens you will get as good a picture quality as your skills will allow. It's the photographer that takes quality photos not the camera. If you want to move to a "higher" level camera then, as Jack says, learn this one and all it's functions inside and out. You won't outgrow this one for quite a while.

Carolina Photo Guy

It sounds like you want to go from beginner to pro by opening the camera box. Then, when YOUR expectations don't materialize, its the camera's fault.

You might want to re-examine your priorities.

Just a thought from a rank amateur.

Pete

Rick M

I know this is a beginner camera, and I am the king of beginners, but how good is the quality on this thing in comparison to more expensive cameras. I've been practicing about 6 months and my buddies say some of my photos look professional, but I don't feel they measure up to the quality of the work I see on the internet. I guess I'm wondering if this camera is capable of professional work. I thought it was a good place to start just in case I decided that photography wasn't my thing... I would at least have a good camera. I'm going to upgrade if I stick with it long enough. What do you gals/guys think?

The most significant difference between the D3100 and a "pro" DSLR is the size of the sensor (of course it depends on you definition of pro equipment, to me it's full frame). Unless you move up to a full frame DSLR, your only getting more features, not much more in regards to image quality.

Last edited:

Mike150

Uriah, My camera is much older (out of production) and has fewer features than the 3100. A friend here at work has the 3100, We've stood side by side taking shots of the same object, and you can tell no difference. You're using memory cards, so if it take a 1000 shots to get that one perfect photo, it's worth it. Keep the one, and delete the rest.
Learn to use the 3100. Find out what it will and will not do. Above all, be patient. Start in Auto Mode, then look at the EXIF data of your best shots. This will give you a good feel for aperture settings, shutter speeds, and ISO for various lighting conditions. It will all start feeling natural before you know it.

douglasco

The image quality from the 3100 is very good. It is better than some of my Leica cameras that have cost me three times as much money. I have stopped spending on cameras and plan to get know the cameras I do own a lot better. I will also now spend my money on decent glass in the future as and when I can afford it.

uriah07

Thanks everyone! I do have the D3100 and I like it. I'm a very patient guy and I'm not looking to go pro over night. I'm just looking for information so I can learn. Sometimes the literature doesn't directly answer questions. Thanks for the help! I'll be back with more questions!