Im considoring a switch to nikon from canon

At the moment i have:

Canon 5d classic
Canon 50D
Canon 430ex

Canon 70-200 f4L
Canon 50 1.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8

Im trying to decide whether its worth switching over with the sort of glass i buy?
I dont make much money from photography so cant justify always buying the latest and greatest, but i really want the D750 so thinking about changing to the Nikon System ready for the prices to drop a bit

But what camera would i have to go for to make the switch worth my time now? D300s D700?
and what lenses should i go for, id like similar alternatives in price and quality ideally

Thanks

J-see

The D300/D700 are a bit old not?

If you want to go DX, the D3300/D5300 or D7100 would be the better choice.

Lenses will be about the same. The 35 and 50mm 1.8 are pretty cheap. The rest is as expensive as you desire.

hrstrat57

You could easily sell the gear you have and be in good shape for a downpayment on a kit similar to mine.....

I sold off multiple bits of Sony/Minolta A mount and E mount gear via a combo of eBay and Craigslist and did very well regarding the $$.

My D700 was purchased on Craigslist unused virtually (200 clicks) together with the 70-300 AF VR and the 60 f2.8 AF D. I picked up the 35-70 f2.8 D AF from a local wedding photographer who upgraded to Nikon 24-70 AF f2.8. The D300 was a used and thoroughly tested item from Hunt's Photo they threw the 50 f 1.4 D AF in for free. My DX kit glass also came from Hunts cheap in mint condition. I picked up the MB D10 grip cheap on eBay.

Do your research on the internet and ask questions herein the forum but another big advantage with Nikon is the ability to use older (cheaper to buy ) glass to tremendous advantage with great results. I am absolutely in love with my kit. The Nikon AF system in both cameras is fabulous. The D300 is limited at high ISO but the D700 has no such limits.....the D glass and my new Nikkor 28 f2.8 MF all work seamlessly on both cameras. If you are switching systems I would stay away from 3 and 5 series Nikon DX cameras as they do not fully utilize the older glass advantage I describe.

I plan to add the current Nikon 300 F4 AF tele and a couple of flash guns and I'll be done....

IMHO and of course be patient so you don't blow your budget in one shot.

:)

ShootRaw

If you can get the D750...Do it...Make sure you put good glass in front of it...The 50mm 1.8G would be a good lens to pair it with to start... If dx..Get the D7100 with the same lens recommendation I gave..Welcome to Nikon...;)

aroy

I think that D800 prices have drooped a lot, so you may also consider that.

In your case first find out how much you will get for all your Canon gear, add to that what you can spend, and then search for gear. I would not recommend getting older models - D300, D300s or D700. Stick to the newer 24MP sensor based models.

To make selection easier just list
. features you absolutely must have
. features which would be nice to have
. Features that you would not mind having

Now find which models satisfy the first criteria, which both first and second and which all, and choose accordingly.

J-see

What Aroy says.

I personally prioritize the sensor. No matter how many buttons or options a cam has, it all depends upon that sensor. There's nothing more important.

You also want decent ISO performance. At first I didn't pay too much attention to that being deluded by the idea we always try to stop down to ISO 100. So why would high ISO performance matter?

However when my shots required a fast shutter, it became obvious why ISO matters. Especially with slower lenses. After I got the D750, the ISO limitations of the D3300 became painfully obvious.

All the rest is of less importance.

The sensor gives you the option to take great shots, the buttons only make it easier.