new 3200 and new member question

harleymike

Hello
I just went form a broken d80 to a new d3200. I have dabbled in photography all my life.
I used to roll my own film and develop and print my own picks. In the olden days. LOL
I am a little confused with the newer technology.
I have a 18to55 and a 55 to 200 nikon lens.
Looking for a longer reach lens, but too many choices and confused about the AF and other issues with the lens communicating with the camera.
I honestly don't care if the bigger lens is AF. If I can save money and get a better lens that way. But if its not AF will it still communicate via aperture setting with the camera. I mean fully manual is fine, thats what i usually use, and always did when i was younger. I understand all those settings and terms.
Just confused with the new techno stuff.
Looking for a prime, or telephoto not set on one or the other. Just need more reach for wildlife stuff.
Or, would a 2x conveyer work on my 55 to 200 lens.
Thanks for any help
Mike

Bob Blaylock

One thing that may be useful to know, if you're looking for the most inexpensive possible lenses, is that contrary to what the manual says on page 169, and contrary to what Nikon says on its web site, old non-AI lenses work just fine on the D3200, albeit with exactly the limitations that you would expect. You can only use them with the camera in “M” mode, with no autofocus, and no metering.

If you are going to use old manual-focus lenses, then you'll want to install an aftermarket focusing screen. The stock focusing screen that comes in the D3200 is pretty worthless as far as helping you focus manual-focus lenses. Go to eBay and do a search for “bresson focus screen D3200”.

Last edited: