Flash off in Manual

Horoscope Fish

If you mean the on-board flash, just push it closed.

It shouldn't be firing when the camera is in "M" unless you deploy it by pressing the button to pop the flash up into firing position.

Jacknet

thanks for the response but it does deploy automatically when I push the shutter half way down. On the menu there are 3 options and no flash is not one of them.

paul04

Just tried this on my D3200, set in manual mode(in a dark room) and the flash did not pop up

Could be you need to adjust a setting within the menu, not sure if the menu on the D3200 is the same as the D5200

Jacknet

This happens with your Mode Dial set to "M"? Because that shouldn't be happening.

When I'm set on "M" manual mode I go to my shooting menu by pressing the "i" button and in there is a flash option tab that has 3 choices in it. : fill flash, Red-eye reduction and Rear curtain sync. None of the PASM modes have "flash off" only the little picture modes and of course auto. I'm shooting the moon and I need to set my own aperature and shutter and the flash pops up everytime. I just don't think I can not use the flash. You would think in Manual Mode Nikon would have allowed no flash. I was hoping maybe someone knew of a work around. Thanks

PaulPosition

That's certainly not expected behavior. My d5200 won't pop the flash in any of the PASM modes. Unless I press the flash release button, that is (usually by accident, trying to change ISO with the neighboring button).

Have you tried a complete reset of the settings?

Horoscope Fish

When I'm set on "M" manual mode I go to my shooting menu by pressing the "i" button and in there is a flash option tab that has 3 choices in it. : fill flash, Red-eye reduction and Rear curtain sync. None of the PASM modes have "flash off" only the little picture modes and of course auto. I'm shooting the moon and I need to set my own aperature and shutter and the flash pops up everytime. I just don't think I can not use the flash. You would think in Manual Mode Nikon would have allowed no flash. I was hoping maybe someone knew of a work around. Thanks
There should be no "workaround" required because no Nikon I've ever owned has behaved like that. Simply put, the pop-up flash should NOT be deploying in Manual (or Program, or Aperture priority or Shutter Speed priority) unless you deliberately do so.

In the short term, I'd tape down the pop-up flash to get your moon shots but based on what you're describing your camera is in need of repair.

Jacknet

That's certainly not expected behavior. My d5200 won't pop the flash in any of the PASM modes. Unless I press the flash release button, that is (usually by accident, trying to change ISO with the neighboring button).

Have you tried a complete reset of the settings?

Quote: There should be no "workaround" required because no Nikon I've ever owned has behaved like that. Simply put, the pop-up flash should NOT be deploying in Manual (or Program, or Aperture priority or Shutter Speed priority) unless you deliberately do so.
That link didn't work.

In the short term, I'd tape down the pop-up flash to get your moon shots but based on what you're describing your camera is in need of repair. ....

Read more: http://nikonites.com/newreply.php#ixzz3IZcXfV5N

Thanks both of you for your replies. I'll try a reset and tape if all else fails. I just have to mention that the manual clearly states the flash modes are all available in the PASm modes. Each has different flash modes you can enter and one is always set to default in those modes. So I don't know. This issue is getting more confusing.

Last edited:

PaulPosition

According to my d5200 reference manual (it's like an extended user manual you can download from nikon website) the flash modes available are :

In Program and Aperture priority
- Fill flash
- Red eye reduction
- Slow sync + red eye reduction
- Slow sync
- rear curtain + slow sync

In Speed priority and Manual
- Fill flash
- Red eye reduction
- Rear curtain sync

In PSAM (and in food macro scene mode) you *should* need to raise the flash by hand (and lower it when you don't want it anymore). It does indeed sound like something is broken.

It's especially weird as it looks like some sort of software bug. One would expect a hardware defect would mean the flash couldn't be lowered at all, not pop when half-shutter is pressed

Last edited:
Full Auto is the only mode where the popup flash should popup all by its self. Any other mode and you should have to use the button to popup the flash. If this is not what is happening then you need to return the flash to Nikon. How long have you had the camera? Is it still under warranty?

Jacknet

My reason for starting this thread was that I'm taking night pictures of the moon and I need to be able to adjust A and S in Manual. I'm not disputing that the flash should not come up and fire in this mode at night, as per the manual Page 35: In "S,M" the flash options are Fill Flash, Red-eye reduction and Rear-curtain sync. So the flash is always going to be live in Manual. I except that. So when I point the camera at the moon at night it is going to be dark enough to trigger the flash when I push the shutter release half way. I expect that. My question was does anyone know a smart way to override this action by the camera and I think the best answer I've heard is to tape the popup flash unit down. I don't think I can do anything internal or electronically unless anyone else knows of a way. I hope that clarifys my question. Thanks

Horoscope Fish

My reason for starting this thread was that I'm taking night pictures of the moon and I need to be able to adjust A and S in Manual. I'm not disputing that the flash should not come up and fire in this mode at night, as per the manual Page 35: In "S,M" the flash options are Fill Flash, Red-eye reduction and Rear-curtain sync. So the flash is always going to be live in Manual. I except that. So when I point the camera at the moon at night it is going to be dark enough to trigger the flash when I push the shutter release half way. I expect that. My question was does anyone know a smart way to override this action by the camera and I think the best answer I've heard is to tape the popup flash unit down. I don't think I can do anything internal or electronically unless anyone else knows of a way. I hope that clarifys my question. Thanks
You are not understanding what the User Guide is telling you. It is NOT saying the flash will always deploy in Manual Mode. It's saying, *IF* you choose to deploy the flash in Manual, the flash options are always available. Seriously, think about this... The flash ALWAYS deploying in Manual mode? That simply doesn't make sense.

You should have the option to use any of the various flash-modes (Fill, Red Eye Reduction, Rear Curtain, etc.) but the flash should not be popping up unless and until you specifically hit the flash button. Period. That's the difference here: the flash should be AVAILABLE; not AUTOMATICALLY popping up for every shot.

In full Auto, the flash decides when and how it deploys. In some "Scene" modes, the flash will decide automatically when and how to fire. But outside of those settings, in P, S, A & M modes the flash is optional and should not deploy unless you press the flash button.

Once again... Your camera, based on your description, is *NOT* operating correctly.

Last edited:

aroy

The flash will operate automatically only in Program Modes, never in A, S or M modes. I hope that you are not confusing the M of Auto focus with M of the Command Dial.

Jacknet

You are not understanding what the User Guide is telling you. It is NOT saying the flash will always deploy in Manual Mode. It's saying, *IF* you choose to deploy the flash in Manual, the flash options are always available. Seriously, think about this... The flash ALWAYS deploying in Manual mode? That simply doesn't make sense.

You should have the option to use any of the various flash-modes (Fill, Red Eye Reduction, Rear Curtain, etc.) but the flash should not be popping up unless and until you specifically hit the flash button. Period. That's the difference here: the flash should be AVAILABLE; not AUTOMATICALLY popping up for every shot.

In full Auto, the flash decides when and how it deploys. In some "Scene" modes, the flash will decide automatically when and how to fire. But outside of those settings, in P, S, A & M modes the flash is optional and should not deploy unless you press the flash button.

Once again... Your camera, based on your description, is *NOT* operating correctly.

Ok...yes I understand all that. I've reset the settings in my camera but will have to wait until tonight to test it. If it still don't work I may take it back to where I bought it or just tape when doing night photography. Thanks

WayneF

Thread is getting messy. :) Every one is telling you correctly, they all have a similar camera, but you are not believing it. Try it once. A simple test will show they are correct. All the Nikon models work this same way.

The reason The PASM mode does not show that Flash Off is because it is off, unless you open the flash door.

If you want to use the flash in PASM mode, you have to open the flash door. Open it when you want to use it. It is your choice.

It does pop up automatically in Auto mode, and some of the scene modes... not all of the scene modes but several (see the manual for each one).

The D5200 manual says: (I cannot copy its little symbols here, so it reads funny)

Using the Built-in Flash: P, S, A, M, and - Modes
1 Raise the flash.
Press the --- button to raise the flash.
2 Choose a flash mode (P, S, A, and M modes only; ).
3 Take pictures. The flash will fire whenever a picture is taken. (that is assuming you opened the door. If you do not want to use it, do not open the flash door)

And the manual says:

Using the Built-in Flash: i, k, p, n, o, s, w, and g Modes (these are the auto mode and many scene modes, but not all).
1 Choose a flash mode.
2 Take pictures.
The flash will pop up as required when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway, and
fire when a photograph is taken. If the flash does not pop up automatically, DO NOT attempt to raise it
by hand. Failure to observe this precaution could damage the flash.

In Auto mode, mostly, the flash pops open automatically.

In PASM modes, it does not. You open it when you want to use it.

Last edited:

Jacknet

I did a reset in my menu and that seems to have corrected it. Go figure. But now I have another problem but I'm going to start another thread for that. Thanks to everyone who responded to this. I learned a lot of other things I didn't know. Take Care...

rocketman122

Uh, no, that's not true. Auto, scenes, special effects, sports/macro/etc. modes will all pop the flash when the camera decides it needs it.

yea, those are all auto modes or shiftable program modes. not full manual control. not the same. manual mode, you decide if the flash will activate or not.