To err or not to err

J-see

Did anyone else have had an error with the D750?

While shooting today it no longer responded and only displayed an "err" message. I could do about anything but fire. It wasn't writing and nothing special had happened which could be the cause.

I switched it off but it kept displaying that err. I removed both cards, the battery and switched it back on. Still that err and then suddenly while I'm walking home, it's gone and all was normal again.

J-see

I'm always puzzled by the logic of having a message display upon error that says "error". Well, that's pretty obvious even without telling me. What about maybe giving an indication what the error is about?

BackdoorArts

Generally that means the card isn't seated properly. I saw shooting with my D750 and D610 yesterday and when I returned I went to pick one up and saw it the error message. Not sure which camera it was, honestly, but I simply took the card out and put it back in. I had accidentally swapped cards a couple days ago and didn't bother reformatting. They've worked fine, but perhaps give that a go provided the card stops giving you the error. If not, try another card, or better yet, first put the same card in the other slot and see what it does first. If you get an error in one slot but not the other then you could have an issue - maybe just a dirty contact, but something to keep an eye on.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
What type of lens were you using? One evening while shooting with my D600, I had an older film camera lens attached--it is the type that has an aperture ring. When using these lenses, the aperture ring on the lens MUST be set to the smallest f-stop. Somehow the ring wasn't quite on f/22 which caused the err message. When using these lenses, the aperture on the camera body will register whatever aperture you choose, but the aperture ring on the lens must be set to the smallest for it to work.

J-see

I'll keep an eye on the cards. I did format both cards before I went out and shot maybe 60-70 before the error.

The lens has the aperture locked on f/32 so that isn't the problem but thinking about it, it has this infantile limited button and maybe while shooting I accidentally pushed it a bit and it locked focusing out of the lens limitation. By being all over the cam while searching what was wrong, I might have clicked it back. I'm gonna glue that button shut since it's of little use anyways.

Thanks for the help. I guess if the error pops up again, I can start excluding causes.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'll keep an eye on the cards. I did format both cards before I went out and shot maybe 60-70 before the error.

The lens has the aperture locked on f/32 so that isn't the problem but thinking about it, it has this infantile limited button and maybe while shooting I accidentally pushed it a bit and it locked focusing out of the lens limitation. By being all over the cam while searching what was wrong, I might have clicked it back. I'm gonna glue that button shut since it's of little use anyways.

Thanks for the help. I guess if the error pops up again, I can start excluding causes.

When my err message occurred, the aperture wasn't completely off f/22 but it was off slightly. Not saying this caused your err, but it is a possibility.

J-see

When my err message occurred, the aperture wasn't completely off f/22 but it was off slightly. Not saying this caused your err, but it is a possibility.

Mine is locked, it requires me to first click a switch before I can turn it. I just checked it and it's still locked. It isn't even easy to move it.

Horoscope Fish

I'm always puzzled by the logic of having a message display upon error that says "error". Well, that's pretty obvious even without telling me. What about maybe giving an indication what the error is about?
Are you human?

Because to err *is* human...

J-see

I swapped the main card and went out this afternoon. Been shooting for hours with the cam dangling over one shoulder while holding two pits with the other hand. It had a rough ride but kept performing.

BackdoorArts

Just so you know, the card error on the D750 is show as...

CArd,
Err

The manual text for just the "Err" message states the it's a "Camera Malfunction" and "If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon-authorized service representative."

So keep an eye on it and hopefully it doesn't show up again.

J-see

Then it wasn't a card malfunction. There only was Err on the display. I put that card in the D3300, did a format and it worked perfectly.

I'll know more when the error pops up again but I'm more and more convinced it had to do with the limited/full switch on my lens. I glued that one shut so it won't happen again.

BackdoorArts

Hopefully it doesn't. I'll be keeping an eye out. I know that my issue was resolved by simply reseating the card, so it may have been that "Card Err" variety.

J-see

I've been shooting all day and no problems.

I however did manage to lose the eyepiece that's on the viewfinder. Be careful with that when you're carrying the cam in one hand or have it dangling. It's not too firmly attached and probably hooked at a pocket of my pants. By the time I noticed, it was hopeless trying to find it.

I swapped it with one of the D3300 which fits. Too bad it was adjusted to my eye but I'll train the dog to bark when everything is in focus.

BackdoorArts

I've lost those stinking eyepiece covers before (there's a thread on here about it somewhere). Given that I don't normally use the cover for it I've considered putting a drop of glue on one of the "dots" to hold it in place - nothing permanent, but something that would come undone with a bit of force but not with casual jostling. Thankfully it's the same piece for just about every Nikon consumer-level camera. I stole one from my D90 until I got to send my D600 in for a D610 and the CS rep told me to "take absolutely everything off if it except the body cap before you send it in" (i.e. strip that sucker for spare parts).

J-see

For a cam in this price range they could have invested 0.05$ more and added some system that clicks and hooks the eyepiece cover. Losing it won't matter for most but if you use a diopter adjustment, it's a PITA.

There's a couple of things about the D750 that are poor. The eyepiece, the neckstrap and the lack of a front wheel lock. Too often I unwillingly move it while using a front button and in doing so change aperture. The time it takes to pop up the menu or info on the LCD is also surprisingly long.

But besides those, it's a fantastic cam. I only need get used to the shutter slam. It's that loud and the cam shakes that much I wonder if it's made of steel.

BackdoorArts

For a cam in this price range they could have invested 0.05$ more and added some system that clicks and hooks the eyepiece cover. Losing it won't matter for most but if you use a diopter adjustment, it's a PITA.

There's a couple of things about the D750 that are poor. The eyepiece, the neckstrap and the lack of a front wheel lock. Too often I unwillingly move it while using a front button and in doing so change aperture. The time it takes to pop up the menu or info on the LCD is also surprisingly long.

But besides those, it's a fantastic cam. I only need get used to the shutter slam. It's that loud and the cam shakes that much I wonder if it's made of steel.

I too wish they'd gone to the D800/D4 style eyepiece.

I haven't seen a front wheel lock on any Nikon I've owned, so that doesn't surprise me. As for straps, I don't even unpackage them any more - I use a set of Domke straps with small bolt-snap hooks that I use as quick releases.

J-see

I had the same issue again this morning. It appears to be the card. When I swapped it with the slot two card, the problem was gone.

I suspect the card to be funky since it works fine most of the time. I close to never take it out of the cam and reformat it each day. I swapped it with a new one in the store.