d5300 auto focus in live view?

Roy1961

Contributor
my friend just bought a d5300, he cannot get the auto focus to work in liveview, works ok thru the eye piece, is there a setting he needs to fix??

edit, he left his manual at home

Last edited:

Roy1961

Contributor
Re: some help please

thanks ted tried that, he is on with the shop now, at work so i cannot download the manual myself, he has to his phone, i am sure there is some setting in the menus that is stopping this, i can see the focus square on the live view both red and green but it is failing to focus on an object?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team

Not sure if this was solved yet or not. In Live View the full-time-servo AF is not available in the paint mode, Toy mode, or Miniature mode. Focus modes available in Live View are AF-S, AF-F & Manual. These are changed as sraz stated in previous post. i then highlight the current focus mode and click OK ...

Moab Man

I had a D5100 that focused in Live but not through the eyepiece - defective unit. I sent it back for a new one.

Roy1961

Contributor

thanks for the replies, he was told that the D5300 only accepts the new nikon and tamron lenses, he has sigmas 18-250 and 50-500, now i tried my 55-300 nikon and it did not work, so?? has anyone else used sigmas on their D5300??

sraz

thanks for the replies, he was told that the D5300 only accepts the new nikon and tamron lenses, he has sigmas 18-250 and 50-500, now i tried my 55-300 nikon and it did not work, so?? has anyone else used sigmas on their D5300??
There is problem between d5300 and sigma lenses and it's fixable with firmware update.

Look here for more information.

Sigma Acknowledges Issue and Fixes It for D5300 Owners

hrvojexyz

I had the same problem with sigma lens (but I bought brand new sigma lens , it was suposed to be compatabile ) , it didnt focus in live view too...Exchanged for new , compatabile one , and it works fine.

John Braden

It may not be the same thing, but I was wondering if the D5300 can auto-focus when you zoom in or out while in video mode. My old Canon Powershot would auto-focus would, but I tied it with the Nikon and it appears you have to manually focus. With live-view it's very hard to focus as you're trying to work the zoom. Any ideas?