Which prime for D5100

Michael J.

Yesterday evening I tried to use my 16-85mm on 35mm, It was a way to tidy in the crowed. I am struggling with the idea to buy the 35mm. I wanna a 1.8 or 1.4 for narrow situations. A prime cos it is faster. I was thinking about the Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G.

Any ideas of alternative of a Nikon?

I am asking cos my vacation is just around the corner and I am pretty sure that I will be at night markets and some interesting indoor events.

Michael J.

@Ted, as you know I've got a 50mm 1.8 as well as a 40mm 2.8, do you think that th e35mm will fits in or should I go for a 28 or something like that?

I don't know what you think about a Sigma 17-50mm

TedG954

@Ted, as you know I've got a 50mm 1.8 as well as a 40mm 2.8, do you think that th e35mm will fits in or should I go for a 28 or something like that?

I don't know what you think about a Sigma 17-50mm

Obviously the 28 will be wider than the 35, but only you can decide what you want. Personally, I think the better value is in the 35, but the 28 "fits" better with what you already have.

You'll have to make the ultimate decision. 😁

The 35 is way to close to what you already have but you know that already. Set your lens on 28mm and shoot and see if that fits you better. The 40mm you already have is a great lens.

Copyhat

The 50 mm will give a much thinner depth of field than that of the 35 and 28 primes. The bokeh will be more powerful and the short tele focal length (on DX) makes it nice for portraits and street photography.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Michael, you can probably buy both the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.8 for the price of the 28. This way you'd get 2 primes for the price of 1. For me, in DX mode, the 35 is a must have.

WhiteLight

Hi Michael,
Hope you are well.. Long time no see :)

I have the 50mm & the 35mm, and i will stick my neck in saying that i like the IQ of the 35mm better than the 50mm.

But you already have a 40mm & 50mm...
Mixed reviews about the 28mm, the 35 seems a 'better' option...only if you really need it..

aroy

The 28mm is F4 in 18-55, so you will gain 1 stop with 2.8 lens. Further the 28mm F2.8 is a D lense so will not AF on D3xxx or D5xxx series. The other 28mm are beyond $ 500. In fact I find the kit lense excellent in good light, yes the short DOF is missing, but no zoom goes to F1.8/F1.4.

I have both the 50mm F1.8 and 35mm F1.8, both are different. I prefer the 35mm most of the time, as it gives me "normal" FOV. That said, in India each one of the lenses - 35mm and 50mm G are around US $150, must be same or less in Thailand, where they are made, while the 28mm is $290.

Ironwood

Michael, while I love my Nikon 35 1.8, is a great lens. What about the Sigma 18-35 1.8 zoom ?
It is a lot more expensive than the prime lens, but so much more versatile.