Good travel lens

Kate

Hello! Just purchased my first dslr-D3100 and so far I am loving it! It came with the 18-55 mm lens. I love to travel and would be taking most of my pictures outdoors. I love taking pictures of landscapes and of people. My budget is small and no more than $500 for the lens...is there any lens that would be a great "all round" lens for me in my budget? I would also be open to purchasing used lenses to save on money, is this pretty safe to do so? Worried that I would be stuck with something that has been dropped a few times and wouldn't work as well as new. Is it obvious to see a flaw in the lens?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've purchased most of my lenses used through others at Nikonians and eBay. If you take time to find the right lens and source, you'll be fine. Another source for decent used equipment is KEH. Their bargains can be real decent!

Since you like landscapes, you'll want something wide. For instance, you could probably find a used Sigma 10-20 in the $500 range.

If you are set on one lens, the Nikon 18-200 or one of the Tamron 18-270 versions are very handy. You'll most likely wind up a bit north of the $500 line though.

If you like lowlight, you really can't go wrong with any of the 50mm's or the 35/1.8.

Fun time and lot's of choices!!!

Rick M

You could get a new 18-105 for under $400. I'm saving up for a 16-85 which is a bit more (under $700) for my general purpose lens. I've heard the 18-105 is a good lens for the low cost.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
What is NAS? Is it serious?:D

Nikon Acquisition Syndrome or NAS is a terminal condition caused by the reading of websites like Nikonites, photography blogs, magazines, etc. which create symptoms of unbridled desire for new gear. See also "Lens Lust".

Joseph Bautsch

Hello Kate. I have five lenses, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4-5.6, 10-16mm Tokina f/2.8, but the lens that gets the most use is the 18-105mm Nikkor. This is the one that lies in the range that I use the most, wide angle to telephoto. This is my people to landscapes lens. It is within your budget as well. I have used it for several years now and it gives me excellent pictures.

Kate

sounds like I have a serious case of NAS!
Thanks for the help! I think that I am going to keep my eyes out for the 18-200 lens.
I would ideally like to have them before the summer as we are driving out to the Rockies. However I may pick it up in the US if our dollar is still strong and if it is much cheaper down there.

George Politis

Aren't we all, eh well most of us(serious case of NAS). I just purchased the oooold 28-100 for under $60, and although extremely happy with it, I miss the wide angle of my 18-200 Nikkor. But it's much smaller and lighter. I'd suggest the 18-105 too, which is a low budget but sharp lens, and will cover most of your travel needs. If you can go to the 18-200, it's - as most say -, the best general purpose lens, but it's a bit big and heavy, and it's not as sharp as the 18-105 or my 28-100, although optically better.

Good luck fulfilling your NAS :)

fotojack

sounds like I have a serious case of NAS!
Thanks for the help! I think that I am going to keep my eyes out for the 18-200 lens.
I would ideally like to have them before the summer as we are driving out to the Rockies. However I may pick it up in the US if our dollar is still strong and if it is much cheaper down there.

OK, first things first: a trip to the Rockies......that's my neck of the woods, being as I'm in Calgary. :) Second: if you buy your lens in the U.S., just be aware that the warranty, if you buy new, will not be valid in Canada. Thirdly, just make sure it's an AF-S lens with VR. Logically speaking, if you want an all around general purpose lens with sharp glass and great focus, get the 18-105. Happy lens hunting. :)

goz63

I will add my $0.02 but it is to mostly echo what has been said. I think if weight and a slightly more than $500 is possible the 18-200 is a great choice. It is hard though to get "one lens" that does it all. That is a big advantage to the DSLR market. That is why many of us have several lenses. I would consider getting one that does "much" of what you want and then look into others down the road.
In that light (ha ha) the 18-105 will do most of what you want. I have one and if I had to give up all but one lens, that would be the keeper. The next one I would look at is one with some reach. I like the 55-300 but if you are on a budget a 55-200 can be a nice addition. For low light I would recommend the 35mm 1.8 as it has a focus motor in the lens where the 50 mm 1.8 does not so you would not be able to use autofocus with the 50. (AF lenses don't have a focus motor in the lens and will only autofocus with a D90 on up. The AF-S lenses are your best choice with the D3100)
Keep in mind that with a DX camera body you have a built in teleconverter if you will.(not really but it gets the point accross) So all the lens numbers you see above will be adjusted by a factor of 1.5 on your camera. What that means is that a 50mm lens will actually work like a 75mm lens on the DX frame. It adds some reach to your numbers compared to the old film SLR's or the FX (full frame) cameras.
I have heard some great things about the D3100. You are going to have a lot of fun with that!