First Upload! Storm King- Upstate, NY

Photo-n00b

Hi everyone, this is my first upload to this site. I just received an old Nikon D-100, and have been taking photos with it for a few weeks. This was taken at the Storm King Art Center in Upstate, NY while I was visiting my girlfriend at her college. It was essentially my first day out with the camera.
I also just began playing with Photoshop CS5, and was toying around with the HDR Toning effects. It may be a little overdone, but I kind of like it! What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC_0369ForumUpload.jpg
    DSC_0369ForumUpload.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 263

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Great pic! I maybe would've centered the art piece a little more and zoomed out so the entire figure is in the frame. You have this blank area to the right that doesn't balance with anything. Edit: it does balance with that upper left triangle, but still seems a little too blank to me.

Also regarding the HDR. It looks good except for the glowing effect that you can see between the object and the sky. Some people don't mind this, but to me it's distracting.

Hope you're enjoying the site :)

Photo-n00b

I'm starting to agree that the glow effect is a little much haha. I suppose I was just excited and overwhelmed by how drastically Photoshop can alter a photo with just a few simple clicks! I appreciate the feedback!

ohkphoto

Snow White
I'm starting to agree that the glow effect is a little much haha. I suppose I was just excited and overwhelmed by how drastically Photoshop can alter a photo with just a few simple clicks!
Really nice job on the photos for the first HDR and "new" camera. We all did the "glow thing" when we started HDR . . . it's just experimentation. Play around with it until you find a style that you're happy with, like Jen said.

Keep shooting and keep posting. That's the best way to get better, and we're really a very nice bunch of people!

And welcome to the forum!