Nikon SD card error

Jamier197

My D5200 has developed a problem, every time I turn it on I get the error message "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged Insert another card." I have tried multiple memory cards in the camera and tested them on another camera to ensure that they work but the message still shows. I have also tried formatting the cards and making sure they are not locked however there has been no luck and the error is still displayed. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Horoscope Fish

My D5200 has developed a problem, every time I turn it on I get the error message "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged Insert another card." I have tried multiple memory cards in the camera and tested them on another camera to ensure that they work but the message still shows. I have also tried formatting the cards and making sure they are not locked however there has been no luck and the error is still displayed. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Just so I'm clear... The D5200 won't work with any of the cards you've tried after formatting them in-camera and those same cards do work in other cameras; and these are cards you know have worked in your D5200 before, but now do not. Is all that correct?

Horoscope Fish

Yes that is correct, sorry if it was unclear.
No it was clear enough... I'm just making sure I understand correctly. Plus I'm on the left coast and it's way early here.

Okay, the next thing I would do in this situation is take one of the cards you know was working in your camera before and format in your computer. Does your computer a slot for SD cards or do you have an SD card reader you use with your computer? This will be a full blown reformatting of the card in the computer, not just in camera and it will take a while depending on how big the card is. If you have a PC I can help walk you through this, if you're a Mac user I can't be of much further help.

Jamier197

Sorry about that. I just tried formatting it on windows, it is a 64 GB card which uses the exFAT file system. After formatting I tried to use it in the camera again but the error message is still being displayed. Could there be a fault with the slot itself?

Horoscope Fish

You didn't clear the check-kbox for "Quick Format", did you?

Reformat the card like you did before, but clear that check-box; all a Quick Format does is write over the Master File Table. We want to totally reformat the entire file system. You'll need to then reformat the card in-camera.

Yes, it's possible there is a problem with the slot, or the camera itself... I'm just trying to rule out other things first. The fact the camera is error-ing out with different cards is concerning, but formatting the card can't hurt and it's free to try.

If the card still won't work after being reformatted as I describe (it will take several minutes to do, by the way) then I would say it's time to have a professional look at the camera for possible repair.

*** Major Edit: ***

I just realized you're formatting with exFAT. Don't do that. Use FAT32. If you were using 128GB cards or larger exFAT might be the way to go, but not with 64's and not between different cameras. Just use the default FAT32.

Car....

Last edited:

Jamier197

Just reformatted the card using the recommended settings you suggested. When I put the card back in the camera the error still showed up.