The Blue Iris

Carolina Photo Guy

Blue Iris.jpg

"The Blue Iris"

Help me make it the BEST!

Pete

goz63

Pete, I am usually not critical of backgrounds but the brick does not work for me. Is there anyway to shoot it from a different angle and not have that background? You might try adjusting the aperture and see if you can push a little more bokeh out of it or maybe place a neutral background behind the iris. The flower is gorgeous other wise and the lighting is nice.
One more thing, I have seen people take a spray bottle and sprits a little water on the flower, makes it look like dew. Kind of makes it pop out when you see it.

Rick M

If you shoot this again, you might want to move the stem which is in the left background, it kinda blends in with the primary subject too much. The single Iris has allot going on in itself, I would try to isolate the single flower as much as possible.

Carolina Photo Guy

Time Warner Disabled is trying my patience today!

I have tried to retake the shot, but the open face is to the front with the bricks in the BG.

My next trick is to play with the DOF and see if I can generate some rich Bokeh to disrupt the brick pattern.

I'll try and post that effort here later today.

Pete

fotojack

I personally like the brick background in The Blue Iris 1. I think it makes the flower pop out. It also adds to the texture of the whole shot. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Blue Iris 2 is really nice, too. The only thing I find distracting is that piece of drift wood dissecting the shot from top left to middle right. Other than that........nice shot. Great colour.