Fujifilm X10

Deleted

I've noticed that several forum members have an X10. I'd be interested in more info about this camera for use as a spare/take anywhere type of camera. One thing I noted was that some of the early X10s had issues with particles on the sensor/or inside the lens. Is this a common issue? Also WRT the sensor size, what focal length would be equal to a full frame 50mm?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi, I've had no problems with particules in/on the lens or sensor.

As far as the FX equivalent focal length, the lens is marked in FX equivalent. The actual focal length is 7.1-24.8 mm equivalent to 28 to 112 mm (FX equivalent).

What I like the most is that it is very small, light and produces nice jpegs. It can also shoot raw for larger files. The jpeg files are not as large as the D7000 and quite compressed. The maximum file size of a jpeg is 5.xx MP. So it might not be a replacement for a DX or FX camera, but I certainly found it very handy as a travel camera.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I think the new x-30 would be better but more expensive. I got the x-10 for 200$ so it's OK. The newer might have an hybrid see through/electronic viewfinder but it would be more.

What I suggest is that you go to a store or find someone that has one, take a SD card, take a few shots with it and see if you can enjoy the resulting pictures. For web or screen viewing the IQ is fine but I don't know how large I could print with some files. Although I did print a panorama that was 20" wide and it was fine but not as detailed as with my Nikons.

Deleted

Thanks Marcel

Because of my location, I have zero chance of trying one. Amazon have a few new ones left at high prices, but they also have some returns at lower prices (without warranty).

AC016

The X10 is a wonderful little camera. Full metal body and dials to boot. The issue that you are referring to, is the "white orb" issue that the first X10s had. The did not appear in every photo, but they appeared nevertheless - i believe you would have had to be shooting under specific conditions. Anyhow, Fuji came up with a fix, which was to replace the sensor for people who were able to demonstrate the problem. Fuji started to produce the X10 with the new sensor with cameras that had a serial number starting with 22. Therefore, if you want to be trouble free, i would inquire about the serial number. Further, if the serial number starts with a number below 22, i would inquire whether or not the sensor and lens assembly have been replaced under Fuji's warranty program - it was a free replacement.

The X20 is certainly a good camera as well, with an actual "overlay" in the OVF to display information. The OVF on the X10 is nothing but a glass tunnel. The X20 also has a somewhat different JPEG engine and gives a slightly different "feel" to it's JPEG's.

If i had the choice, i would still choose the X10 because of the EXR processing.

The X30 still has the same sized sensor as it's predecessors, much to the disappointment of some. It's a bit of a larger camera and has no OVF. Though, it has a lot of bells and whistles that are new to X cameras.

if you got the money, buy the X30. If not, be careful when buying an X10.

Good luck