Only took me 4 months

paul04

I've been on this website now for 4 months, and finally figured out how to add the exif into to my pictures :)

DSC_2432.jpg

STM

Gorgeous images!

Have you ever heard of Opanda IExif? You can download the free "trial", which I have had for about 4 years now or spring for the "pro" version which does not do much more than the trial version.

WayneF

They are extremely nice images. Was that with a closeup filter?

And I can't figure out the Exif thing here either. I host my images on my own site, and some of them have the Exif clearly in them, but the link from this forum site does not see it. It's just a link, so that doesn't even seem possible. :)

The Opanda link says:

Download Opanda IExif
Version: 2.3
License: Freeware ( License Agreement )
Size: 2.5 Mb
System: Win98 / Me / 2000 / XP / Vista
Date: 2008-04-22

That is more than six years without update. Which is ancient, and is a common fate for most Exif viewers (most are largely abandoned). When I got a D800, I had to give up PhotoME for the same reason (was OK for D300, but was very out of date for D800). Because Nikon changes their Exif format, causing conflicts from newer cameras. Not in the basic stuff like shown here, but in the Manufacturers section, which is left out, but is where the good stuff is.

There is a good solution though. ExifTool, which has been updated 28 times in 2014, if I count correctly. :) Active development, and the best there is. And free. Probably the reason the rest have been abandoned? :)

It is a command line viewer, and has many complex options. a serious tool. Which is Not spooky, it does not cause any problems, because we can ignore all of that part. Because there is also a Windows GUI interface (Windows program operated regularly with the mouse, even drag and drop) that takes all the mystery out of it, in the best possible way. It is fantastic. It will show your Exif, all of it.

Exiftool - ExifTool by Phil Harvey

Then towards that page bottom, section Related Utilities - Windows, there is ExifTool GUI for Windows
ExifToolGUI

Just put them both into the same folder (and remove -k from file name as instructed) and run it as ExiftoolGUI. It is very pleasant to use, in conventional Windows sense.
The current one probably operates your newest cameras files, but you might get a newer version now and then too. With this one, there will be newer updates. Which are largely to add new cameras, but some fixes too.

Last edited:

paul04

They are extremely nice images. Was that with a closeup filter?

Thank you,

I'd just got my tamron 70-300mm lens, which can switch in to macro mode at 180-300mm, so I was testing it out, and seeing how close I could get to the flowers.

aroy

I am curious to know, how did you get rid of the EXIF data?

In my case I do nothing to exif. I process the RAW files in Capture NX-D and then export them to jpeg, which contains all the exif data.

WayneF

I am curious to know, how did you get rid of the EXIF data?

In my case I do nothing to exif. I process the RAW files in Capture NX-D and then export them to jpeg, which contains all the exif data.

I don't know about Capture.. Guessing, possibly it is combined with the Embed ICC Profile option in the Save As JPG dialog box?

In Adobe, there is both Save As JPG, and Save For Web menu options, and the Save For Web menu omits Exif data.

Also, this and most forums often strip the Exif in many situations when uploaded. The trick seems to be how to get it retained. :)

paul04

The pictures start off as raw files, open ligtroom, edit pictures, but then the jpeg size was over 25mb, so I was resizing them with microsoft paint.
And somewhere along the process it was going wrong,

now I've worked out how to resize the pictures as I save them in lightroom, and keeping all the exif data :)

Last edited:

aroy

The pictures start off as raw files, open ligtroom, edit pictures, but then the jpeg size was over 25mb, so I was resizing them with microsoft paint.
And somewhere along the process it was going wrong,

now I've worked out how to resize the pictures as I save them in lightroom, and keeping all the exif data :)
Most software than can export can also resize while exporting. Glad that you found this out, better late than never.