Does Anybody Shoot With The Sigma 120-300mm 2.8 OS

BackdoorArts

I've shot with a pair of them on my brother's Canons. Wonderfully sharp lens, requiring someone with a decent upper body to shoot for any reasonable length of time handheld. It also stays pretty remarkably sharp with a 1.7-2x converter.

It's at/near the top of the list as my next glass investment, though the 150-600mm Sport lens may have toppled it. I'm hoping to get to the PhotoPlus show in NYC on Saturday to see the new zoom. I'm not one to shoot with a monopod a lot, but I suspect that would change with the 120-300mm. My question becomes, is the sharpness that much better than the 150-600mm Sport that it justifies 2x the price with the converters I'd want/need?

What I love about it is its ability to focus calibrate at 4 points across the zoom range. RocketCowboy (I think it's him) will tell you that it's because they make them so poorly it requires is, but hell, I've had to calibrate every zoom I have, regardless of manufacture, and I have to compromise by doing it at only one point in the zoom range, so I scoff at the conjecture.

My brother had some issues with the initial focus calibration of the latest version with his Canon 1D Mk III & IV, and he blogged the snot out of it (if you think I'm obsessive, I'm the easy going guy in the family). Sigma has since fixed the firmware (it was an issue with the Canon firmware messing with the zoom on the 1D only), but there's a lot of great information in there on what the lens is capable of.

Saga of the Sigma 120-300 "Sports"

slowpoke

THANKS, Jake I haven't had too much time with it yet.(WORK) lol I book marked the article you posted and I'll read it later as I'm on call tonight.I use a tripod for almost all my shots but I'm going to the gym so I can get into some weight training.Many thanks again.

slowpoke

Hi,Second or middle version with OS.
_0004463.jpg

kamaccord

Just wondering if I was alone here.I sure would like to hear if someone has had ups or downs with this lens.Thanks

I have been reading up on the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 Sports lens for a few months now to be used with my D7000 for covering sports. However, I just upgraded to a full frame body and two new lenses (24-70 and 70-200) to accompany the body. I hope to purchase the lens at lease by this summer. I've only seen good results of this lens.

slowpoke

Hi,Kamaccord,I was thinking on going to full frame myself but,moneys tight these days and the d7100 is working well so for now it's DX.lol I've seen some great shots taken with the D610 and D800 using the sport model.I can't see you going wrong with the D4s and the sport model. Hope you got strong arms though.lol

jay_dean

I was looking at this lens a few months ago. But it'd have to be a replacement for my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, and i don't think i could bring myself to do it. I'd like the extra 100mm, but losing the Nikon???

slowpoke

Hi,jaydean.I carry my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 all the time along with the Sigma 120-300 just in case.lol The 120-300 has it's own case and the Slingshot 302 has everything else.Works great.

jay_dean

Hi,jaydean.I carry my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 all the time along with the Sigma 120-300 just in case.lol The 120-300 has it's own case and the Slingshot 302 has everything else.Works great.
When i'm at airshows and doing the long range stuff, i have the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 on one camera body, (takes-offs) and a super tele lens on another. Other than those events, i don't often take the 70-200 far tbh, its always a super tele for hikes and stuff. I could only justify one lens in that kind of range, and i'd only really use one lens in that range, and if i wanted to buy the 120-300, the 70-200 would have to fund it. The extra reach of that 300mm would be very handy for me, and thats the tempting part, but is the 120-300 the equal in speed and IQ of the Nikon 70-200 2.8?? I dunno

slowpoke

If I'm doing long rang stuff the Sigma 2x teleconverter goes on the Sigma 120-300 and I use a tripod for sure.lol Deadly combination.imho
_0004705.jpg

I snapped this guy through the tree as he was leaving.
_0004700.JPG

At about 75yds. Cropped

kamaccord

Hi,Kamaccord,I was thinking on going to full frame myself but,moneys tight these days and the d7100 is working well so for now it's DX.lol I've seen some great shots taken with the D610 and D800 using the sport model.I can't see you going wrong with the D4s and the sport model. Hope you got strong arms though.lol

Thanks Joe. I plan on using the Carry Speed FS Pro Sling Strap opposed to the Nikon neck strap with hopes that the additional weight will be manageable. lol. The Sigma is currently the only option that will be in my price range after my body lens combination I recently went all out to purchase.