HDR/Blending using a single RAW file

BackdoorArts

This is a cool tutorial from the folks at Shutter Evolve. If you're into HDR photography these guys are a phenomenal resource, and they do it predominantly in Photoshop using masks to blend multiple exposures so what you learn can be adapted to non-HDR photography as well.

In this video they use ACR multiple times via Smart Layers to achieve the working layers they want. I've been doing the same thing for a while now using the Create Virtual Copy function in Lightroom and then simply opening the multiple copies as layers in Photoshop when I go to edit. It works pretty nicely and I find it far easier since I use Lightroom as the basis of my workflow.

How To Double Process & Digital Blend a Single RAW File in Photoshop - Shutter...Evolve

Vixen

Jimmy McIntyre is one of the BEST HDR photogs around. I've been following him (and his blog) almost from it's beginning. I bought his tutorials vids this year but have yet to sit and work thru them. He has helped me immensely on my own HDR journey.

BackdoorArts

Just his free download set of Photoshop actions is reason enough to hit his site. I really need to immerse myself in the luminosity masking stuff because I currently know only enough to get half way there before I screw up and need to regroup. LOL

480sparky

My rule is: If there's only one image to start with, it ain't HDR.

One frame cannot extend the dynamic range of the camera sensor, no matter what you do in post.

PaulPosition

My rule is: If there's only one image to start with, it ain't HDR.

One frame cannot extend the dynamic range of the camera sensor, no matter what you do in post.
Agree. Not HDR.

Still, a clever trick. At the end of the day, your camera *does* record a greater dynamic range than what could be rendered to screen or paper. Tone mapping, compression, etc. by way of the "fake-DR" allows you more control over how exactly to exploit that "high-ish dynamic range.".

Blacktop

Just his free download set of Photoshop actions is reason enough to hit his site. I really need to immerse myself in the luminosity masking stuff because I currently know only enough to get half way there before I screw up and need to regroup. LOL

I downloaded this the last time you posted it, but I don't even make it as far as you before I just scrap the whole thing.
I'll keep plugging at it though.:)

BackdoorArts

I downloaded this the last time you posted it, but I don't even make it as far as you before I just scrap the whole thing.
I'll keep plugging at it though.:)

The one thing I use consistently is their Detail Enhancement plug-in. The rest is all there for me to use at some point.

Vixen

Vixen

It only lasted a short while. Jimmy found it hard to get contributions to fill the magazine, and let's face it, it's a limited subject. I think the HDR One FB page is still going. I used to post there a lot but haven't even looked at it for ages. If you want to see the best & worst tho, it's a good place to start :D

I think also, being constantly on the move, Jimmy found it hard in general.
What a life eh? Constant travel around the world taking photos. Like everything tho it has it's downfalls as well as the highlights :D