Problem with Battery Grip Controller MB-D10

bannview

Hi,
Just bought a new Nikon MB-D10 battery grip for my D300 and find the four way controller rather troublesome. What is happening is that it moves in spurts across the focal points and then after say three or four points stops for some reason and it takes some time to move again. By then the bird would have flown away. Really no good for use in trying to set a starting focal point quickly when in the vertical portrait position. The main controller on the body of the camera works just fine and is nice and fluid across the various points. I have cleaned the contacts on both the camera and the lens just in case that may have been causing it. Has anyone any ideas as to what might be the cause of this or is this normal behaviour or I`ve got a faulty battery grip. I don`t want to send it back immediately just in case it is something I may not be doing correctly but then again if it is faulty and not my fault I most certainly will.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated from anyone out there who has experience of using a nikon grip and able to say if what I`ve described is anyway normal or not.
Thanks,
Ian

Last edited:

Browncoat

While I haven't had this particular problem, my MB-D10 gives me fits sometimes too.

The problem I've had is with the shutter button. There are random times when the button on the grip doesn't want to work properly. I have to press the camera shutter button first, let it autofocus on something, and then I can switch to the one on my grip.

bannview

While I haven't had this particular problem, my MB-D10 gives me fits sometimes too.

The problem I've had is with the shutter button. There are random times when the button on the grip doesn't want to work properly. I have to press the camera shutter button first, let it autofocus on something, and then I can switch to the one on my grip.

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to comment. You do have a different problem indeed but just as annoying nevertheless. I went for the original Nikon product, as I do with 99% of my gear, as opposed to purchasing a third party grip at about 1/5th of the price so as to ensure I had the proper recommended product that would not cause any damage to my camera. While it has not done that it is just so annoying for it not to work properly. I have contacted my supplier by e-mail saying I want to return it and have it replaced but still waiting to hear from them otherwise I will just send it direct to Nikon under warranty.
Ian

JoeLewisPhotography

For what it's worth, I have the "cheapo" Ziekos grip on my D300s and it works perfectly. You just don't get the magnesium build like the MB-D10, which has not been an issue for me.​

bannview

For what it's worth, I have the "cheapo" Ziekos grip on my D300s and it works perfectly. You just don't get the magnesium build like the MB-D10, which has not been an issue for me.​
Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to comment.
I fully appreciate what you are saying re the "cheapo" and I`m sure you are well pleased with it but my fear was that if I got one and anything happened and it screwed up the electronics of the camera then I would be in bigger trouble and the money saved initially could turn out costly in the end.
However, some good news for me anyway I think, I may have solved my problem now and it looks like you have to push the small controller from the opposite side from the direction you want to go in as opposed to pressing down on it in that direction. It seems to be working a lot better by doing this.
Once again thanks.
Ian

Browncoat

I had a 3rd party grip for my D90 (can't remember which brand, but it wasn't the Ziekos one) and never had the first problem with it. I'm still not sure why my MB-D10 is so moody. I'll think I'll name her Charlene.

;)

Blerdnorm

That's interesting I just purchased the Zeikos battery grip and I'm having an issue with the shutter button not functioning properly. It's very touch and go, I checked around and a lot of other forums said to update the firmware, which mine is at the most current. I really don't know what to do it's either live with it or return it. Unless I'm just missing some setup in the camera menu. Any ideas?