Strobes for Automotive Photography

outlet15

Question....

What size strobe would you (any of you) recommend to do a shoot with a car either in a garage or in an urban area at night? Right now I have a Yongnuo 560 III, a make shift softbox with a heat lamp shade attached and a make shift light wand. I need more light, and a strobe seems like the way to go. What would you all say?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Question....

What size strobe would you (any of you) recommend to do a shoot with a car either in a garage or in an urban area at night? Right now I have a Yongnuo 560 III, a make shift softbox with a heat lamp shade attached and a make shift light wand. I need more light, and a strobe seems like the way to go. What would you all say?

Well, if you want more output, you can always use multiple flashes with a remote while the camera is on B.

outlet15

Well, if you want more output, you can always use multiple flashes with a remote while the camera is on B.

If I were to do it that way, what kind of light modifier would you suggest so that I could spill the light on to the car? I'm torn between a shoot through umbrella or a large strip box. I could do 2 speedlights at full power with a modifier on the corners of the car.

singlerosa_RIP

I'd try to diffuse the flash with an umbrella and try multiple flashes, fired remotely (of course). Here's a shot I took last fall with one SB-800 shot through an umbrella, placed to the left of camera. Took this while I was waiting for my wife, who was going to be ready in "five minutes". It's not at night or in a garage, but you get the idea of diffusing the flash.

911 on 119.jpg

outlet15

I would use speedlights with no diffuser at all. I shot this playing around a while back. Two Neewer TT560 manual speedlights on 9' stands at camera left / right.

One SB-700 under the car.

I only had the speedlights at about 1/2 power IIRC. Pushing them a bit would have lit the car very well.

That's not bad. Maybe I will look into getting a couple more speedlights. Thanks.

outlet15

I'd try to diffuse the flash with an umbrella and try multiple flashes, fired remotely (of course). Here's a shot I took last fall with one SB-800 shot through an umbrella, placed to the left of camera. Took this while I was waiting for my wife, who was going to be ready in "five minutes". It's not at night or in a garage, but you get the idea of diffusing the flash.

View attachment 119736

Nice shot. I think if you turned it B/W I think would look really sharp. Thanks for the in put

outlet15

Untitled-1_edited-1.jpg Here something like this maybe. (I hope you don't mind that I played around with it. I have no intention of using this photo for any personal gains.)