AF calibration question...

alfaholic

Banned
My previous camera was D7000, and it was calibrated by Nikon service once because my 35mm suddenly stopped to autofocus correctly. After calibration everything was fine, the camera and all my lenses were perfect, if I remember well they calibrated camera and 35mm lens. My other lenses were fine.
When I bought my new D7100 one month a go, I tested it with my two lenses, Sigma 17-50 and Nikon 35mm, and both were perfect, finally something that works out of the box. Hmmm...

But, one week a go I returned my 35mm to Nikon because my focus motor was very noisy and squeaky, so Nikon replaced AF motor. After that repair my 35mm was off again, I needed to put AF adjustment to +15 in order to focus as it should, so I went to Nikon service again, they checked my camera, it was fine, so they will look at my lens again.
Today they called to tell me that my lens is ok, they do not see anything bad with it, so I tested again my D7100 and Sigma and suddenly AF is off by +20 on AF adjustment. :confused:

I am so confused... I am very careful with my gear, so it is impossible that I did something somehow, but something is wrong.

Do all camera bodies and lenses need to be calibrated after purchase, or this is just in my case?
Is this normal, or all lenses must be compatible with all camera bodies after purchase, and without need for calibration?

Horoscope Fish

My previous camera was D7000, and it was calibrated by Nikon service once because my 35mm suddenly stopped to autofocus correctly. After calibration everything was fine, the camera and all my lenses were perfect, if I remember well they calibrated camera and 35mm lens. My other lenses were fine.
When I bought my new D7100 one month a go, I tested it with my two lenses, Sigma 17-50 and Nikon 35mm, and both were perfect, finally something that works out of the box. Hmmm...

But, one week a go I returned my 35mm to Nikon because my focus motor was very noisy and squeaky, so Nikon replaced AF motor. After that repair my 35mm was off again, I needed to put AF adjustment to +15 in order to focus as it should, so I went to Nikon service again, they checked my camera, it was fine, so they will look at my lens again.
Today they called to tell me that my lens is ok, they do not see anything bad with it, so I tested again my D7100 and Sigma and suddenly AF is off by +20 on AF adjustment. :confused:

I am so confused... I am very careful with my gear, so it is impossible that I did something somehow, but something is wrong.

Do all camera bodies and lenses need to be calibrated after purchase, or this is just in my case?
Is this normal, or all lenses must be compatible with all camera bodies after purchase, and without need for calibration?
In my experience all lenses should be checked for front/back focus. Period.

My prime lenses have required very little or no adjustment but every single zoom lens I've owned, both Nikon and third-party, have required AF fine tuning to one degree or another. In a perfect world this step would not be necessary but, obviously, this is not a perfect world we live in.

alfaholic

Banned
Thank you, that sounds logical to me.
But, why something suddenly goes off, is it something I did, or sometimes AF recalibrate it self?

My D7100 and all my lenses focus perfectly. I've never needed to do any "fine tuning".
I've got Tamron's 90mm f/2.8 VC macro, and 70-200mm VC f2.8, Nikon's 35mm f1.8, and 18-105mm. They
all focus perfectly.

Remember, auto-focus is not perfect. Even check the Nikon D7100 manual on page 72;
"Getting good results with auto-focus". There are quite a few scenarios where auto-focus
will not perform well.

I would say your experience is not 'typical' for Nikon.

See if you can get a brand-new 35mm Nikon lens. It sounds like you might have gotten
a lemon there.

I don't buy Sigma at all. Too many horror stories with compatibility/poor quality.
I love Tamron's, but I only buy within the Pro-lens line (SP).

That said, if all your lenses are requiring fine-tuning, then I would say your D7100 is
probably out of whack.