My D7000 died today

Eric Parker

Eric.Parker says:

Today my D7000 just died - I was out shooting and had a couple of hundred images on the card and when I tried to review the last image, the camera was completely dead only seconds after shooting - I suspected the battery but went home charged it and still nothing - completely dead.
any ideas?

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
That's strange - sounds like something is wrong with the power switch or the contacts on the battery are dirty. The latter sounds more likely though.

fotojack

I'm guessing it's still under warranty, so Monday I'd be taking it in to a Nikon dealer to see what the problem is. If it's just the battery, a pencil eraser on the battery contacts does a good job of cleaning. You could chyeck the battery terminals, too, if you have a volt meter. If it's less than 7.4 volts after a full charge, you have a bad battery. I just tested mine and it reads 8.07 after a full charge. It's an En-EL3E. Yours may be different.

Eric Parker

thanks guys - it does point to the battery (EN EL-15) or the power switch - I fiddled with and charged the battery twice - still totally dead - dont't have a spare so I can't do much else - Off to Henry's tomorrow (just two weeks before a trip to NYC, sigh). Ill ask them to swap batteries with fingers crossed
Eric

Curt

Thats too bad! I just got back from a two week trip to Sweden where I used my D7000 everyday (check my gallery) It worked fantastic! I had no problems with it what so ever.

LensWork

Is the card still in the camera? Is the card full? Sometimes if the card is completely full it can cause the camera to lock-up.

fotojack

Is the card still in the camera? Is the card full? Sometimes if the card is completely full it can cause the camera to lock-up.

Oh, that's right, too! I completely forgot about that condition! It happened to me once with my D200, and I couldn't figure it out right away. Then when I changed cards, it worked again. Maybe that's the problem with yours, Eric. Give it a shot. Let us know the final outcome, eh. I'm curious to know the real reason.