55-300 lens jumps

Jeff_J

Not sure how to describe this, but the lens will jump when I turn the camera on and at random times while using it. I can see it through the camera and feel it in the lens. Its been happening for awhile now. My other two lenses do not do this. And this lens will do this on another body. I took it back to the camera shop once and they didn't see it happen. It is happening more now. Anyone heard of this and how I can get them to see it or describe it to them?

PaulPosition

It's a VR lens, isn't it? When you turn it on, when you acquire focus, it goes Thump! Thump! Thump! And the viewfinder dances a bit..?

My 55-200 does the same, it's the vibration reduction that's gone bad. On mine, it will do it whether I've the VR switch set to on or off so I reckon I have an electronic problem.

Cleaning the contacts on your lens and body *might* help, worth a try (didn't for me but, as I said, I'm pretty certain *my* problem is at the switch or some internal cable/ribbon).

Hope you're still under warranty because repairs costs are way too high for the value/price of these kit lenses.

Jeff_J

It is a VR lens. I know what you mean about when you turn it on, but it will do that same thing randomly throughout its use. I believe that I have tried it with VR on and VR off and it is the same, so I leave VR on. I have not tried cleaning the contacts yet. Although this lens does it on different bodies. It is still under warranty, so I will take it in again. Just didn't know what to tell the camera shop so that they can see it and get it fixed.

PaulPosition

I wasn't clear, mine does the same and it seems quite random. I often, but not always, can trigger it by tilting the lens like I want to shoot the ceiling, or the ground... maybe because gravity pulling on the suspended (sprung?) elements or something like that...

Good luck with return and do tell us what it was all about if you get a good explanation.

Jeff_J

Well, I took the lens in last night. Got one of the more knowledgeable people there. So now its being sent in for service. Will know the results in 4-6 weeks.